New member from South Shore Massachusetts

13 Replies

Hey everyone my names Sean Doherty, I'm from south shore Massachusetts and looking to buy my first rental property this summer.

Like many others, my goal is to reach early financial freedom through a buy and hold strategy focusing on small multifamily properties too start. I'm 27 and hope to retire from my current job by 40.  For now, I work as a Lineman for National Grid and consider myself very fortunate to make a good income doing what I do, I'm sure it'll help get me started quickly in real estate investing. I'm lucky enough to like my job, the work is interesting and challenging but takes up to much of my time, typically 50-60 hours a week at work and about an hour commute each way 5 to 6 days a week. My main reason for wanting financial freedom is to have more free time or at least be able to schedule my working hours around my other needs and wants.

When it comes to real estate investing I think my biggest hurdle will be lack of time and knowledge/experience. I have a good paying W2 job so I do not think money or acquiring financing for the properties I'm looking to buy will be an issue. I've focused my search mainly in Rhode Island because it seems to be a little cheaper to get started than mass but I am open to anything within an hour from the Bridgewater MA area. 

Thanks for reading my intro, I'm excited to meet the members of the BP community and think it will be an invaluable resource throughout my real estate investing journey.

@Sean Doherty Welcome to Bigger Pockets! There are a lot of great resources here including the entertaining and informative podcasts. Looking forward to hearing more from you and feel free to post to the forums when you have specific questions come up of course :)

Nice to meet you Sean! Do you live in MA or RI? If you're looking to invest in RI I would suggest stopping by the Rhode Island Real Estate Investors Group and meet some of the members! It's a great group that meets every third Thursday of the month. There is lots of knowledge and very helpful members to get you started! If you need an agent in RI I would love to help you out! I am also a member there. Feel free to contact me sometime if you'd like to chat. Good luck and happy investing!

Thanks @Anthony Thompson the podcats are great! I've been checking out the BP podcast and the money show on my way back and forth to work every day. I think it's a great way to utilize what would otherwise be wasted time.

Thanks for the info @Matthew Charron ill add the meeting to my schedule now. Can you reply with the location or should I message you privately? I currently live in MA but am looking to invest in RI and am very open to doing a house hack in RI 

@Sean Doherty Welcome to BP!  You're in the right place X2.  

BP is the place to learn pretty much anything you need to know, and South Shore MA is (in my very humble opinion) the best place to find investments in eastern MA.

Watch the "events" section for the Boston South REIA, meeting in Norwell the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7 PM.

Welcome aboard, @Sean Doherty !  There is a ton of information on the BP forums (though sometimes overwhelming, as it's so much information!).  The podcasts are a great way to make the daily commute to/from work more interesting!

I'd agree with @Matthew Charron that the RIREIG meetings are a great way to network with local folks who you will definitely need (i.e. property managers, contractors, home inspectors, etc).  I've met some great people there, and working with others who are investors themselves will help you accelerate reaching your goals....they just "get it" and understand the big picture of investing.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks @Nancy deSocio I plan on going to the next REREIG meeting but might be a little late because of work. Hope to see you and @Matthew Charron there and get a face to face meeting!

Welcome to BP @Sean Doherty ! I am pretty new myself--looking to acquire some REI knowledge pertaining to wholesaling and house-hacking in the hopes that it will eventually lead to a lucrative path and some freedom! I have recently become interested in starting my house-hacking journey in a few areas south including Taunton, New Bedford, and the Bridgewater area.

Best of luck to you! I hope that you find the time to delve into the REI path to the best of your ability!

@Sean Doherty first, congratulations and welcome to BiggerPockets!

In your introduction you mention, "...When it comes to real estate investing I think my biggest hurdle will be lack of time and knowledge/experience..."

You're actually at THE BEST PLACE to get free knowledge, network with other experienced investors, and take advantage of free educational materials.  So keep up the good work and don't let the lack of knowledge stop you.

You are not alone in your real estate ambition, Sean.

Once again, congratulations and I wish you much success in your real estate investing career.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you