Getting Started in Cedar Rapids, IA

7 Replies

Hi all, my name is Joe. I will be relocating to the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area and wanting to start investing in real-estate . Any advice or recommendation on building a team would be great. Really looking for a real estate agent and wholesalers in the area to get started. Also wanted to know if there are any preferred areas for buy and hold and possibly flip for investment properties in this area.

Hi Joe,

There are some good areas here for investing. Welcome to the area.

Can you share more about your experience and your goals? It would be helpful to know more before attempting to give you any direction here.

@Joseph Taylor hello and welcome to BiggerPockets!

BP is one of the best online real estate investment websites. Not only does BP have free informative forums for you to learn and comment on, it also has free online courses, guides, and success stories from other real estate investors.

You have come to the right place, Joseph, and I wish you all the best in your real estate investing career!

@Joseph Taylor

Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

@Ron Rohrssen really I want to of course find a place to stay for myself and my wife. Second I would like to get a rental unit by then end of the year or do both if I can find a multi unit. Long term goal is to gain financial freedom so I don't have to continue to move around as my job request.

@Jill DeWit and @Dmitriy Fomichenko thank you for the information. I have already started on the Podcast and the reading material. I couldn't find any local meet ups or local groups in the area which was surprising because after looking at the Cedar Rapids area appears there is a lot of opportunity but I'm not an expert either.

Thank you all. I'm trying to learn as much as I can to be successful. 

Hey Joe.  Shoot me a PM and I will hook you up with the team I use if you are interested.  There is a local group on Meetup.com that meets monthly that you might be interested in.  They are mostly focused on wholesaling and flipping if you are interested in that.  I am looking to start a local group for Cedar Rapids and will let you know details when that happens.

Welcome to BP @Joseph Taylor ! I've especially enjoyed the podcast and recommend that you keep listening. You'll even find one of Cedar Rapids own, @Glenn McCrorey , on episode 110. 

There are still opportunities for both buy and hold and flips in Cedar Rapids. For buy and hold areas, you have to make a decision between cash flow and the quality of the area and tenants. We have areas with on market single family deals that meet the 2% rule but have slightly higher crime rates and may require a little more work. There are a lot of investors in Cedar Rapids that are pursuing this route and doing well. Most of the areas I look at are closer to the 1% rule for single family. Feel free to message me if you want to talk about specific areas on the east side (@Austin Davis probably knows more about the west side), or need recommendations on agents, lenders, etc. 

Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you