Career Path's in RE and/or RE Appraiser?

3 Replies

Hello, 

I am looking for a new career path in real estate. I have my BA in Finance from Cal State Fullerton and I have 3-4 years of work experience as a Buyer/Planner. 

I was thinking of going back to school to get my certification to be a RE Appraiser, however after reading some forums, I'm not sure it's worth all the effort. I discovered real estate a little later in my life (currently 27 years old), but I really want to be involved in RE. my long-term goal is to be a RE investor and own rental properties, so having a strong income to be able to afford down payments is important. I'm torn between going back to the 9-5 life and saving money to invest or starting a new career path in RE and being fully invested in the industry. 

Also, the reason why I want to start a new career path in RE is that I feel like it would give me an advantage, I want to learn everything about the industry - trends, hot markets, new deals on the market and so forth. I also want to move away from the 9-5 life, I was never happy working in an office. I want to have a flexible scheduled so when I start my family I can afford to stay at home or work from home at least. 

@Hayet Ashley Arous hello and welcome to BiggerPockets!

You have a solid plan as evidenced in your intro, and I commend you for that.

BP is the ultimate learning center for real estate investment, Hayet.

At BP, not only can you network with other real estate investors, you can learn from the informative forums posted daily on the site, find properties that are for sale, and take free courses.

You have come the right place and I wish you best of luck in your real estate investing career.

Real estate appraiser here. I personally like my job a lot, but there's a lot of red tape to get through to become an appraiser as opposed to say a real estate salesperson. Feel free to pm me and I can tell you about the pros and cons of the field. :) I would say whatever you decide, because you're here you want to be an investor. Any job can only do so much for your income because you only have so much time in a day. Passive income is the key to financial independence. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you