New to Investing - New Jersey

7 Replies

Hey there! This is my first post on BP! I've been listening to the podcast and reading up on the site. I'd like to introduce myself and hopefully start getting to know others in my area. 

I'm originally from a suburb of Cleveland, OH. I moved to Northern NJ about 6 years ago. My fiancé is closing on a new house near Phoenix, AZ and we plan to move to AZ within the next year or so. 

My current job is ending Aug 31 so it's a great time for me to get started in real estate investing. Does anyone know of a good way to get a foot in the door before I make my first investment? I have a CAPM certification (certified associate in project management) and was thinking that a PM job in the real estate field might be a good place to start. However, it seems the real estate focused jobs are looking for real estate experience. Are there any other good ways to get into the field and learn as much as possible? 

@Lisa Dahl  You seem to have the perfect resume for flipping homes!    Aside from needing PM skills the fit may be perfect given your short timeframe left in NJ.     I wish 1/2 our flippers were CAPM certified!    Good luck!  

Hey Lisa - I am also in NJ (Central) and I have my CAPM ;) I would suggest looking in and around where you are moving to and just looking at property for a bit. You will get a good sense of rent, neighborhood, tenants, and areas you like. At the same time, you can interview property management companies and realtors to get their take on all of the items I listed above to see where your circles overlap. Best of Luck!

Ray D.

@Ray D. Thanks for reaching out! That sounds like a good idea... If I use this year to plan, I should have some solid goals in mind when we move. I'm glad you mentioned that I should talk to people while researching. Knowing myself, I probably would just research for a year and not talk to realtors/property managers until I'm ready to make a move. I will definitely take your advice. 

Welcome @Lisa Dahl! Are you looking to use your project management expertise towards flipping? It could probably be used for property management and a number of other real estate fields as well. Did you have a specific field or preference in mind? If not what drives you? What are your goals?

@Lisa Dahl Hello and welcome to BP! Do you have a specific plan and a set of goals written out? If not I would start there, this will help you to decide the best course of action and a timeline for execution.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you