Australian investor looking to purchase in PA

4 Replies

Hi all, I have a question about international investing. I am from Pennsylvania but currently Reside In Australia. I found a property that I would like to purchase back home, but it’s not for sale, I see the property as a good buy and hold property and it actually is the house I grew up in. It went into foreclosure around 2011 for $861 only if I knew then what I know now. It sold in 2014 for 80k the estimate for its worth now is around 90k. I want to purchase it cash, and rent it out as you receive about 1k a month for rentals in the area. The area was nothing back then and now it’s doing well. I want to use it as a cash flow initially and then possibly sell in 5 years. How should I go about making a offer to the agent or owner? Any feedback I would be greatly appreciated.
Originally posted by @Quentin Walker :
Hi all, I have a question about international investing. I am from Pennsylvania but currently Reside In Australia. I found a property that I would like to purchase back home, but it’s not for sale, I see the property as a good buy and hold property and it actually is the house I grew up in. It went into foreclosure around 2011 for $861 only if I knew then what I know now. It sold in 2014 for 80k the estimate for its worth now is around 90k. I want to purchase it cash, and rent it out as you receive about 1k a month for rentals in the area. The area was nothing back then and now it’s doing well. I want to use it as a cash flow initially and then possibly sell in 5 years. How should I go about making a offer to the agent or owner? Any feedback I would be greatly appreciated.

If the house isn't actually listed on the market than you just need to mail and call the owner with your cash offer and see if they're willing to sell. Not everyone will want to...and if they've done any improvements to the property they may not want to sell it for 80k or 90k...but you wont know until you contact them and ask. They very well may be skeptical that you're from out of the country as well...just be prepared for that. Too many "Nigerian Prince" scams out there

Hi James, thanks for the reply and insight. I’m actuallly heading back to the states in a few weeks and thought I might try to meet the owner or agent face to face so they know I’m serious.

Hello to Australia😉. We have another partner in Australia. We are currently working on a 150 door multi family in PA. Would love to talk more about you goals and what you’re looking to do and accomplish and see if we can possibly work together. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you