Newbie from Houston, Texas

8 Replies

I am a newbie to BiggerPockets and real estate, trying to learn everything I can. Day job is engineering in Houston, Texas (Oil and Gas). I want to learn about single family and multifamily investing to start building a rental portfolio to compliment income from my career.

Welcome aboard, Trent. You’ve come to the right place. Start off by simply doing the following:

1) Interact in the forum daily

2) Read the the Guides under the Education tab

3) Listen to the podcast - All of them

By doing those 3 things daily you will learn through osmosis alone. 

Best of luck, Trent

Originally posted by @Trent Amstutz :

I am a newbie to BiggerPockets and real estate, trying to learn everything I can. Day job is engineering in Houston, Texas (Oil and Gas). I want to learn about single family and multifamily investing to start building a rental portfolio to compliment income from my career.

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

Welcome to BP! 

As others have said, be sure to learn from the resources on this site. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to read a couple of books on RE (like the Book on Rental Property Investing and ABCs on Real Estate Investing) also.

Good luck!

Additionally to all what’s already said above, I recommend going to local RE events or webinars given by local experienced folks who understand Houston and surrounding market.
I have a webinar coming up next Thursday, message me for details.

Welcome to BP.  there is a ton of knowledge here in the forums, articles, and podcasts.  Bigger Pockets has a local meet up every month. You can hop on meetup.com to find other groups in the Houston area as well.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you