Newbie from San Antonio, TX area seeking guidance

Newbie from San Antonio, TX area seeking guidance

Leakey, TX · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey everyone, My name is Chris Jurica and I'm from Leakey, TX (closest large town is San Antonio).  I am new to both Bigger Pockets and real estate. I have been learning via reading and podcasts for the past few years and am willing to step out and take action. I am looking learn everything I can and contribute where I can. I just don't know where to start. How should I begin my journey into real estate?

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Seth TeelPro Member
Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 596 posts · 587 votes
8y

Welcome, @Chris Jurica. 

I am not sure if there are any Hill Country REI meetups out your way, but there are several meetups held in San Antonio, Austin, and in between. One of the best things you can do is start networking with other investors. The other thing you can do is read. Read as much as you can. Buy books, read articles, comb the Bigger Pockets forums for info. There is so much knowledge out there, and most of it's free. There's no need to buy into a house flipping seminar or pay a "mentor" to show you the ropes.

Once you meet a few people, and start learning more about the industry this should help you find a direction for your investment strategy(s).    If you're going to be in San Antonio, give me a shout.  We can always grab coffee or lunch.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Seth TeelPro Member
    Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 596 posts · 587 votes
    8y

    Welcome, @Chris Jurica. 

    I am not sure if there are any Hill Country REI meetups out your way, but there are several meetups held in San Antonio, Austin, and in between. One of the best things you can do is start networking with other investors. The other thing you can do is read. Read as much as you can. Buy books, read articles, comb the Bigger Pockets forums for info. There is so much knowledge out there, and most of it's free. There's no need to buy into a house flipping seminar or pay a "mentor" to show you the ropes.

    Once you meet a few people, and start learning more about the industry this should help you find a direction for your investment strategy(s).    If you're going to be in San Antonio, give me a shout.  We can always grab coffee or lunch.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Chris Jurica start by househacking. Buy a small multi family and live in it. You’ll learn a ton and save a lot of money while doing it.
  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 53 votes
    8y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    Great place to start is meet ups. The real estate world thrives on its open bar mixers lol, but in all seriousness meet ups are where the money, investors, and experience all converge. Go to one learn all you can and start networking your bound to find someone on the same path as you! Hope this helps!

  • Leakey, TX · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the tips! I will be looking for a meet up or two is San Antonio/Austin and start making connections. Should I have business cards available since I’m new or is it not mandatory?

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Chris Jurica

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Seth TeelPro Member
    Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 596 posts · 587 votes
    8y

    Business cards get tossed in desk drawers or tossed away. Make people program your number in their phones.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.