Newbie from Valparaiso, IN

Newbie from Valparaiso, IN

Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes

Good afternoon, Bigger Pockets!  My name is Jason Little.  I am a buy and hold investor from Valparaiso, IN. I currently control a couple of rentals in Northwest Indiana (“The Region” to all the locals).  I have actually been a member of Bigger Pockets for a year or two (I cannot recall when I signed up exactly), but have never taken advantage of the forum section.  I guess with experience comes smarts, and Over the last couple of years have realized that real estate is a people business. My goal here is to expand my network and my knowledge.  I look forward to chatting with everyone!

3Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael DangPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
8y

Welcome! Don't get stuck in the forums!  There's way too much GOOOD info here.  

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Richland, WA · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    Jason Little Welcome! I am new to the forums as well. It’s great to see so many new people each day in the new member section.
  • Grandview, MO · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the forums.  I'm brand new to them too and found to have a lot of good stuff in them.  

  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2014 · 175 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    Welcome! :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    I primarily focus my investments in MI City, but am starting to expand into Valpo and LaPorte. Let me know if I can help.
  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Ya, I’ve noticed that the forums have quite a bit of info.  Up until recently (today, lol) I’ve basically only listened to the BP podcasts.  I had actually forgotten that at some point in the past that I had created an account with BP.  Thanks for all the responses.

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Good to see a couple of folks from NWI.  

  • Developer · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 484 posts · 406 votes
    8y

    Welcome!  Happy to answer any questions about Indy if you're interested.  Feel free to PM me.

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Hey, Jeff! Thanks for reaching out. Ironically, I have been thinking about looking down in Indy because it has been increasingly harder to make a buy and hold deal work here in NWI (part of that may be me and my approach, but regardless, it has grown harder). What are the best SFH buy and hold areas for cashflow (and hopefully some appreciation) in Indy?

  • United States · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 394 votes
    8y

    @Jason L. lived in Crown Point my whole life until I moved to Austin in 2014. Still have tons of friends and family in the region, several of whom are in the RE world. Happy to help where I can / connect you with folks I know so don't hesitate the reach out!

  • Michael DangPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    8y

    Welcome! Don't get stuck in the forums!  There's way too much GOOOD info here.  

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Thanks, Mike! 

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Welcome, I just moved to Valparaiso this past spring.  I would love the opportunity to pick your brain about your operation and what you are doing.

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Stephen

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    stephen - Sure thing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oahu, HI · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 42 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the forums, @Jason L.! I'm based in Griffith, so not too far from Valpo. Glad to see another local on BP - are you attending any local meetups? My hubby and I just started going to the monthly NICIA (nicia.org) meetings, and there's a good group of smart investors there. As much as I love the forums, there's something valuable about meeting in-person. 

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Agreed!  I currently am a member of NICIA.  My attendance is sporadic though bc of my job schedule.  I do try to make it out there every month.The price is right, and have learned a ton over the last couple of years.

  • Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    What is your primary focus with your investing?  Rentals?  Fix n flip?

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason L.

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason L.

    Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Brad TaylorPro Member
    Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 57 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    Hey Jason!

    Chicago guy here, but always investigating NW IN for deals and possibly even to househack within a year.  It's an interesting market to say the least.  Income levels are all over the place.  Inventory type and volume varies wildly, even within a few miles.

    BUT, love the low taxes and landlord-friendly laws, and in general, much cheaper properties than Chicago.

    Good luck!

  • Tax CPA · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 215 posts · 186 votes
    8y

    @Jason L. Welcome to BP! 

    Here are some of my favorite resources:

    Podcasts

    Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

    Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

    Episode 113 – Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

    Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

    Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

    Amanda Han

    Brandon Hall

    Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

    Linda Weygant

    Guides

    Ultimate Beginners Guide

    Forum Stickies

    BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

    My Favorite Books

    I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

    The Millionaire Next Door

    The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

    What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

    Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

  • Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hi Jason,

    I have been in Valparaiso for couple years now and looking for investment opportunities. Would be great to know more about your targets. Maybe we can help each others.

  • Investor · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2011 · 103 posts · 65 votes
    8y

    I'm in Valpo, too. I own & rent out 3 sfh in the downtown area, plus 2 1br apartments in my house. I'm always happy to connect over the lunch hour. 

    I wonder if there are enough of us small-time investors in Valpo to have a meet-up?

  • Real Estate Agent · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    @Rich Schmidt Well Rick I would love to throw my hat in that ring. I’m from the region but primarily in Valpo and would love to meet some locals who are doing what I want to be doing.
  • Real Estate Broker · Valparaiso, IN · Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    @Jason L. , @Rich Schmidt, @Tuukka Virtanen, 

    Would be interested in grabbing coffee and discussing different interests and what not. Take care!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.