First Post on BiggerPockets - Introduction

9 Replies

Hi everyone,

My name is Diego and I am a third year Industrial Engineering Student at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL and I know that area better than Orlando. I'm interested in residential and multifamily rental properties. I'm looking to expand my knowledge in real estate and hopefully meet some awesome people on BiggerPockets!

I do have a little experience in real estate. My friend, Tim, and I had some bandit signs made and we put them around the neighborhoods of UCF in order to try to wholesale houses, but we only got calls from other wholesalers trying to sell us their houses. Nonetheless, it was a good experience.

My dad has really inspired me to start learning about real estate investing, as he had wholesaled a few properties and now has begun buying rental properties and I'd like to help him find and analyze deals. Of course, after I graduate college I plan on buying my own rental properties.

I've been reading books, watching some YouTube videos, and I just started listening to the BiggerPockets Podcast (which is phenomenal by the way). I plan on attending BiggerPockets meetups in Orlando at the start of next semester of college. I'd love any feedback on what else I could be doing to learn as much as possible to prepare myself to invest in rental properties. 

Thanks,

Diego Hooker

@Diego Hooker.

Hi Diego. Welcome to BP. This is a great place to learn and connect. Lot of experienced folks here who generously help out with their knowledge and experience. You are on the right path. If you need help with private money lender in Orlando, I can recommend someone. If you have any general questions about real estate, feel free to reach out. I am happy to share my RE experiences. Regards Ally

hey Diego welcome to the forum

I think the best advice would be to shadow somebody doing the type of RE investing you want to get into., Maybe offer to help out or work for free on part of the deal to get some experience?

Good luck!

@Diego Hooker Welcome to BP! Great on getting started while in college.

Here are some resources I give to newcomers:

If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

Podcasts

Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

Episode 113Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

Amanda Han

Brandon Hall

Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

Linda Weygant

Guides

Ultimate Beginners Guide

Forum Stickies

BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

My Favorite Books

I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

The Millionaire Next Door

The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

Welcome to the forum! Im about to get my professional engineering license so i understand why real estate looks better than engineering. Personally i dont want to do engineering forever, every upper level engineer i know works crazy hours and the stress level seems high.

Good luck in engineering and real estate.

Originally posted by @Diego Hooker :

Hi everyone,

My name is Diego and I am a third year Industrial Engineering Student at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL and I know that area better than Orlando. I'm interested in residential and multifamily rental properties. I'm looking to expand my knowledge in real estate and hopefully meet some awesome people on BiggerPockets!

I do have a little experience in real estate. My friend, Tim, and I had some bandit signs made and we put them around the neighborhoods of UCF in order to try to wholesale houses, but we only got calls from other wholesalers trying to sell us their houses. Nonetheless, it was a good experience.

My dad has really inspired me to start learning about real estate investing, as he had wholesaled a few properties and now has begun buying rental properties and I'd like to help him find and analyze deals. Of course, after I graduate college I plan on buying my own rental properties.

I've been reading books, watching some YouTube videos, and I just started listening to the BiggerPockets Podcast (which is phenomenal by the way). I plan on attending BiggerPockets meetups in Orlando at the start of next semester of college. I'd love any feedback on what else I could be doing to learn as much as possible to prepare myself to invest in rental properties. 

Thanks,

Diego Hooker

HI Diego, sounds like you are doing a lot of really great things to learn about real estate! Biggerpockets is a great resource to continue to learn. Feel free to connect and ask any questions. 

Originally posted by @Deep Johal :

hey Diego welcome to the forum

I think the best advice would be to shadow somebody doing the type of RE investing you want to get into., Maybe offer to help out or work for free on part of the deal to get some experience?

Good luck!

Good idea! I've got some free time in the summers so that could probably work out, I'll be sure to look for that kind of opportunity. Thanks Deep!

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Diego Hooker Welcome to BP! Great on getting started while in college.

Here are some resources I give to newcomers:

If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

Podcasts

Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

Episode 113Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

Amanda Han

Brandon Hall

Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

Linda Weygant

Guides

Ultimate Beginners Guide

Forum Stickies

BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

My Favorite Books

I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

The Millionaire Next Door

The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

Thanks Josh for the recommendations! Haven't focused too much about learning tax advantages to real estate, but I know when done right it can save you a lot, so I'll be sure to check out these resources

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you