Newly minted MBA in Valparaiso, Indiana

4 Replies

Good evening all!

My family and I just moved to Valparaiso, Indiana in order to encourage my wife's career to flourish.  Thus, I am looking for alternative activities  to stay out of trouble.  Most of my MBA studies were focused on real estate and the management of assets.  If there is any thing that I can do to assist you in achieving your goals please let me know.  

The following are a few things that I am hoping to get from the community 

1) Communal support as I try to walk down the bumpy road towards a asset growth

2) Networking opportunities (who would have guessed its hard to find a new friend when you have to work your social schedule around family commitments and bed time)

3) An opportunity to make a deal

Thanks everybody!  I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Stephen Backus 

Hey @Stephen Backus Welcome to BP!

Some resources I recommend to newcomers:

If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

Podcasts

Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

Episode 113Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

Amanda Han

Brandon Hall

Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

Linda Weygant

Guides

Ultimate Beginners Guide

Forum Stickies

BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

My Favorite Books

I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

The Millionaire Next Door

The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

Josh:

Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy day to welcome me to BP.  It seems that you have a solid recommendations for podcasts and books.  I have yet to read the What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow but, I'll be sure to pick it up.

Also, I have a few practical accounting/ tax questions about a project that I am working on.  Time requirement should be sub 15 minutes and they are big picture questions.

Thank you for your time,

Hello! @Stephen Backus

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you