New Member from Florida

11 Replies

Hi everyone

My name is Marie. I am interested in real estate investing in Florida. Especially bank foreclosures. I am practically new to the business and is looking for as much as information that I can get before K get the ball rooling. Is there any of you who has experience in foreclosures and court housw bits?

I heard that the market is pretty much staturated in south florida. 

Does any of you invest in south florida?

Is there any investors group in south florida that I can joint in south florida. 

Hi Marie welcome to BP there are lots of great resources and people around here.

Yes the market is very saturated, expensive and competitive here in South Florida. 

You will want to focus your time and energy on finding off-market deals in the area.

It will be very tough to find anything on the MLS, through wholesalers, auctions, etc.

Thank you for responding Brian.

Do you know anything about investing in foreclosures (court auction)? How to find the money?

I saw a couple properties at Broward Clerk Court and would like to put a bit for some. I have enough cash for the deposit and repairs but I am not sure on how to get the cash (financing) that they are asking for. 

Can anyone help me?

Foreclosure auctions are very very tricky and you have to be careful on what you're getting yourself into. You'll have to make sure the property is worth your time, make sure you know what you are bidding on, and do a sound title search to see what kind of encumbrances there are on the property. You can't even get into them and see what's on the inside so you'll have to drive by and do what you have to do to look. After all of that work, you may not even get to bid as anything can happen that'll take the property off of the docket.

I don't invest in Broward, but in Palm Beach county, you have to create an account with the clerk and comptroller and deposit 5% of your maximum bid of the property with certified funds a couple days before bidding. When you win the bid, you have to fund shortly after. 

As far as getting the money, you should network with some people to maybe lend you private money when you need it or maybe a money "partner" so you could close quickly. 

I would say there are easier ways to find deals, but in South Florida it's tough. Good luck!

@Marie D.

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

Yes, use a service to research the properties coming up for auction, get some kind of advice from experienced people.  Then get title checks done to find encumbrances on any property you plan on bidding on!

I am so grateful for all your answers. Thank you so much to all of you for taking the time to help me. I guess I have much to learn. I look forward learning from you all professionals.  

Please keep me in the loop. I am pretty much open and need to start moving as soon as possible. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you