Newbies in Katy, Texas

20 Replies

Greetings all! My hubby (Otis) and I are in the spanking brand new stage of building our REI business. We are going to one of the 3 day seminars (Than Merrill) in a few weeks. However, our whole intention is to go strictly for information/education offered in those 3 days. And then to struggle through the huge learning curve ahead of us by any means necessary (well sorta). So glad we found BP!!! Our goal is to within 5 years build our business to the point that my hubby can walk away from his current full-time JOB! Our focus is on rehabbing (i.e. flipping) and securing several rental properties. We know that we have A LOT to learn!!! We also know that it is essential for us to begin networking with others in efforts of eventually building a team of awesome people we can learn from and work with on a regular basis! We are excited about the journey and are looking forward to interacting with many of you as we learn and grow! Thanks for being here ;-)!

@Carla D Laskey you & your husband have opened yourself to the new world of opportunities. RE is a great vehicle to earn passive income and ultimately retire from your current job. You‘ll enjoy being at the upcoming 3 day event and learn a lot. You may have questions after the event which you can ask in forums or dm me.

Thanks for the welcome @Sammy G. ! We are looking forward to it. I'm sure we'll have questions. It's great to know we already have someone we can dm (lol).  Btw - although as of yet we've never used it,  I just renewed my county tax sale bidder registration for another year ;-)!

If you are planning on buying tax deeds in Texas and hoping to flip them you need to know several things.  You probably will not be able to get a title policy for at least 2 years (perhaps in one year if you indemnify) which makes it difficult to flip.  That is just a very short statement that takes more explanation as there are other factors as well.  I will be in your area and giving a seminar (NO COST) on tax deeds in Texas in August.  Feel free to PM me for more information.  I also can refer you to a service that will do research and other helpful things in Texas at low costs.

Welcome to BP, @Carla D Laskey ! The forums are great here and you should also listen to the podcasts. I've met a lot of great people on BP, whom I have met in person as well...some who have turned out to be great friends and/or partners. Just be sure to pay it forward once you become the REI expert. :)

Thanks for the welcome @Tony Castronovo ! Great to connect with someone in Katy! I literally just finished my first webinar "How a Newbie Can Start Building Wealth Through Real Estate Investing" by @Brandon Turner and it was awesome despite the fact I couldn't see the screen correctly. I could hear everything he said which was most important. The webinar was loaded with valuable information! I started listening to the BiggerPockets and a couple other REI podcasts last week as well since I spend a LOT of time in my car. I'm in full-fledge information absorbing mode (lol). I love the principle of "paying it forward" so I will definitely take you up on that -- although tbh it will be a while before I can ;-).

Originally posted by @Carla D Laskey :

Greetings all! My hubby (Otis) and I are in the spanking brand new stage of building our REI business. We are going to one of the 3 day seminars (Than Merrill) in a few weeks. However, our whole intention is to go strictly for information/education offered in those 3 days. And then to struggle through the huge learning curve ahead of us by any means necessary (well sorta). So glad we found BP!!! Our goal is to within 5 years build our business to the point that my hubby can walk away from his current full-time JOB! Our focus is on rehabbing (i.e. flipping) and securing several rental properties. We know that we have A LOT to learn!!! We also know that it is essential for us to begin networking with others in efforts of eventually building a team of awesome people we can learn from and work with on a regular basis! We are excited about the journey and are looking forward to interacting with many of you as we learn and grow! Thanks for being here ;-)!

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

Hi @Tom Ott ! Thanks for the welcome and best of luck greeting! We actually lived in Ohio for a few years (in Reynoldsburg suburb of Columbus). When we found out we'd be relocating to Texas with my hubby's job and couldn't sell our home there (that had just built 3 years earlier in a neighborhood full of new builds). We we had the awesome idea that we'd make the home our 1st real estate investment. We hired a property manager literally one day before we packed up and headed to Texas. Fast forward 14 years...I'll leave out the gory details but it turned out to be a total disaster (I mean learning experience - lol). In spite of that we have awesome Ohio memories. Maybe we'll test the waters there again in the future with way more life experience and "actual" real estate education, mentoring and a plan where the numbers work ;-)!

Welcome! Biggerpockets is a great source of information. I recommend going to networking events as well (you can find it in the events for networking tab) as well as meetup and eventbrite. Go to biggerpockets and rei mentor sites and read their blogs. Join webinars on what you can find. Seminars are great just be careful of the sales pitches but definitely go! Seminars give so much information. I have been investing for almost 3 years. My mom over 30. We love to help!

Thanks for the welcome, recommendations and seminar advice @Elizabeth Klingseisen ! All is duly noted. You are so right -- BP is a great source of information! I am glad we found it. I am looking forward to the day when we (like you) can say we've been investing for almost 3 years. Slowly but surely we will get there ;-)!

Hello! @Carla D Laskey

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you