Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
New Member Introductions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Major
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greater Philadelphia Area
Votes |
Markets, and New Beginnings

Andrew Major
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greater Philadelphia Area
Posted Jul 26 2018, 14:46

Like many of you, I recently read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and want to make a change to my life.  I am currently an Army Officer in the Logistics Corps.  I have 3 years left in my military contract but would like to start out (even if it is slow).  I have been reading, listening to podcasts, and doing as much research as possible on real estate.  I currently am in Fort Drum, New York.  I come from South New Jersey and went to school in Delaware for civil engineering.  I have had internships as a construction project engineer in Manhattan working on luxury hotels and in Newark, DE working on a dormitory.  After done with my service I want to go back into construction and real estate.  I have a real fire for real estate and seeing properties be improved.  My long term girlfriend is also a mechanical engineer and works for a construction management company in Wilmington, DE.  We are looking to eventually quit our jobs and give back to the community.

Our tentative plan once we feel comfortable is to flip a few properties and eventually own rental, multifamily, or single family homes to replace our income to build passive income.  Once comfortable with that we want to try out group homes because we have a passion for helping those with special needs.

As a noobie to real estate I was wondering what people thought about the markets in New Jersey and Delaware. Is it a place I should invest in? Or should I look to neighboring states like New York or Pennsylvania. Should we aim for more rural or go to the cities? Should we stay away from group homes? Other than a real estate agent and a lawyer, what other players do we need to make this work. Being a veteran, Is having a VA loan a huge advantage?

Sorry for all the questions, answer as many if you can.  Thanks and I look forward to being apart of the BP community! 

Loading replies...