Newbie from Suffolk, VA

10 Replies

Hi, my name is Jason. I'm brand new to REI and I'm not actually an agent yet, but getting my license in September. Right now I'm educating myself as much as possible: reading every REI book I can get my hands on, listening to the BP podcast, I've attended one BP webinar.

I know I need to network more than I have, but my excuse is that I'm just getting started.  Here is my first step.  I'd love to hear from local investors, new or experienced.  I know hands on experience is much more effective than reading about it or listening to it.

I'm still not exactly sure what niche I'd like to work in the most.  Multifamily homes interest me, as well as fix and flip, buying and holding single family homes, and possibly wholesaling.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I look forward to connecting with some great people!

-Jason

Welcome to BP @Jason Edwards . you can set up "keyword Alerts" here. 

When anyone mentions your keywords you get notified. So setting one for Sufolk, Norfolk, Virginia beach etc will help you find threads about your area and meet local investors.

@Jason Edwards Welcome. It sounds like an exciting time for you transitioning out of the military and into real estate. Suffolk is a good city to invest in as well as the rest of Hampton Roads. Did you decide which brokerage your are going to sign up with?
@Ernest Grindle Thank you, Ernest. I am very excited about transitioning and even more excited about real estate! No, I haven't decided on a brokerage yet. I've read a little bit about different factors to consider, but I honestly haven't started looking into it yet. Do you have any advice or tips concerning selecting a brokerage?
@Jason Edwards I will have my license in another month or so and have started looking at this too. I think any brokerage will be a good choice, but each comes with it's pros and cons. If you wanted good training you could go with Keller Williams in the Western Branch. Exit is good for investors. Cross is good if you want to stay focused on Suffolk. Saunders has low agent fees. It's really all about what you care for right now as you are getting started. You can always move somewhere else again later on. I'll probably go either KW or Exit.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you