New 22 yr old Investor from Santa Monica, Ca

21 Replies

Hi everyone! My name is Adrian. Although I have had my account for a couple of months, this is my 1st post. I only recently discovered real estate a few months ago and am excited to learn as much as I can!! A little about myself: I am 22 years old. I graduated from college this past December with a degree in Biology. I currently live in Santa Monica (grew up in Stockton, Ca) where I currently work in the biopharmaceutical industry. As far as real estate experience goes, I have none. I have started reading books and always listen to the amazing real estate podcasts on bigger pockets. Based on what I have learned so far, my goal is to buy a SFH out of state using the brrrr method following the same example set by the great David Greene! I’m happy to be join the awesome BP community!! Thanks, Adrian

Welcome Adrian, congrats on getting started! I'm in the same boat as you, just graduated, new to real estate, and looking to invest out of state (currently living in Denver, CO). Best of luck man!

@Adrian Hollifield

Once you're ready to pull the trigger, I highly suggest looking back in the Stockton area. Native myself. The market is on fire right now and it's a great place to invest. My mom still lives in the area and sends me updates everyday about how much her home is going up in value lol. Best of luck!

@Adrian Hollifield

Yes I do... it's my mom's old house in Stockton. Decent C+ / B- area, she bought it back in 1999 for under $100k. Worth like $250k now :-) Might pull the trigger on another one soon but dealing in so many areas I have opportunity overload lol.

Welcome to BP @Adrian Hollifield and congrats on starting your real estate journey especially at such a young age! I would suggest you find attend some local REI meetups in your area. Get out there and start networking and chatting with our fellow investors and start building up relationships. I invest in Stockton, so would be interested to get your take on how the market is there now compared to when you were growing up there?

Good luck!

@Sherwin Gonzales Similar to most places the prices in Stockton have risen up substantially in the past couple of years. I suspect that this would be partially do to more and more people are leaving the Bay Area for affordable housing and are moving to cities such as Stockton, Tracy, and Manteca. It is getting difficult to find homes that will cash flow. There is a lot of new housing being built in between Manteca to Tracy! Hope this helps.

...As far as real estate experience goes, I have none. I have started reading books and always listen to the amazing real estate podcasts on bigger pockets. Based on what I have learned so far, my goal is to buy a SFH out of state using the brrrr method following the same example set by the great David Greene!...

It was this book and my experience on the other end of the renovation equation that got me into out of state BRRR investing as well! So far so good. It's not without it's challenges but with the technological tools we have at our disposal there isn't a reason not to do it! Excited to hear how you do!

@Paul Choi  I plan to follow a similar path as @David Greene after reading his book Long Distance Real Estate Investing. His strategy involves creating a team in the city you plan on investing in by building relationships with real estate agents, PM, contractors, and lenders. My brief summary does not do the book justice. The combination of reading that book and listening to BP podcast has convinced me that it is possible to do. To compensate for my lack of knowledge, I plan to either try to partner with somebody or prepare myself to have to pay the high rates that will likely come from with starting new relationships. I do not have everything figured out as of right now, but I am continuing to learn more and know that I will learn a lot more once I can get the first property under contract.

@Adrian Hollifield Oh man! Good catch, yes it's a typo. I just started on the Forum and the first two deals I've been involved in were due to a friend bringing me in for the Construction Management/Design value add. With that said I haven't gone to any meet ups but am definitely planning on it. These first two deals are very "hand holding" deals so I'd like to learn as much of the other side of the deals as possible. 

Hello! @Adrian Hollifield

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you