New member in Asheville NC

14 Replies

Hi!

I've been a long time lurker and I've finally made an account. My wife and I jumped into real estate in 2012 by buying a REO property that was seriously scary looking. While working full-time jobs we were able to demolish the dilapidated house, a garage, several sheds, and clear and clean our 1.3-acre parcel. We then designed and built our own 2 bed 1.5 bath house. Next, we launched our AirBnB business and were able to take some much-needed vacation time thanks to the passive income it generated. We learned a ton during the process and are excited to do it again. I am in the process of acquiring my general contractor license and look forward to doing another build and hold.

Hello Matthew and Ryan! I am also new to this site and new to real estate investing in general. Definitely in the learning phase. I plan on attending CREIA as well. I have been exploring some of the surrounding areas, as well as Greenville, SC and Johnson City, TN. Just thought I'd introduce myself since I'm local to Asheville as well. 

Hello! @Matthew Newby

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Passed my general contractors exam in October! Plans for our next build are coming along steadily. It's going to be a 3 bed 2 bath with a separate 1 bedroom unit in the basement. We will be house hacking it by moving into the basement 1 bedroom upon completion. We are just now working through the process of subdividing our land and getting a partial lien release from the bank. Lots of work ahead of us but we are super excited.

@Matthew Newby How many times do you visit Green Man Brewery?

We had vacation planned for Asheville in the fall (cycling the mountains and drinking delicious beer) until that stupid hurricane came through!  

Congrats on the passing you contractors exam. 

Jealous you live by the beach! We love visiting Charleston and have been thinking of doing our next project in the area. North and South Carolina have reciprocity agreements for licensure so that should make the jump relatively easy for us. We'd love to touch base with some new contacts in the area if you're interested next time we swing through. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you