Newbie from San Antonio, Texas

4 Replies

Hello, my name is Jonathan and I live in San Antonio, TX. I work in account management/client relations for a local private company. I’ve always been interested in learning about real estate but have never made the jump into it as I did not know where to start. I was extremely fortunate to make a connection with a listener of the Bigger Pockets podcast who put me onto the show. I was immediately interested in learning more, and have been very thankful for all the incredible information/insight Bigger Pockets has to offer. My goals in real estate are to learn how to get started, the different strategies you can utilize, make connections and eventually help others out as I become more experienced!

Yes sir. Quite a few. I believe networking is one of the most important aspects of this business. Try Alamo REIA and their affiliated focus groups. Or SAREIA. Or one of the smaller meet ups around town. Some listed on Meetup app and some listed here.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets, Jonathan! I'm new to the world of real estate investing, as well. I'm actually living in Los Angeles at the moment (tough market to get into with a high barrier to entry and low price-to-rent ratios) which has led me to the idea of long-distancing investing in San Antonio. My father lives in Helotes, and I was recently there and had the chance to meet with a real estate investor/agent who owns 10 units as a buy and hold investor. 

What area are you looking to target? I have it narrowed down to somewhere in the NW part of San Antonio, outside loop 410 but inside loop 1604. It seems to me that 3bed/2bath homes are a requirement to to reduce vacancies (buy and hold) and holding costs (flip) in that area, plus the school ratings are decent. Desirability in SA seems to be heavily driven by school ratings for family homes, and proximity to the bases or medical center for smaller units (condos or apts). I'll be targeting single-family homes with good school ratings that I can purchase at a discount for one reason or another. Ideally I'd find a 2bed/2bath where I could reorganize the floor plan to create an extra bedroom. 

Very interested to hear what your tentative strategy is for this area! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you