Newbie Gal relocating to Louisville KY from Co

25 Replies

Hi Everyone! my name is Gal and I currently live in beautiful Denver, CO. Unfortunately, we missed the boat buying a house 5 years ago when we arrived from NYC and now that the market is crazy and prices has sky rocketed, we are thinking on relocating to a new exciting place. During the process of looking for a house I came across one the Biggerpocket YouTube videos and absolute loved the idea.Instead of taking our saving and putting it towards a mediocre house that would appreciate in short amount of time, why not have the 4 walls work for me instead the other way around? working so many hours at a software company and not spending enough time with my delicious two girls lead to realize I have to generate passive income if I want to control my time. We are considering to relocate to Louisville KY, where my sister in law lives ( yay! free babysitter! ). We were thinking of buying a multi family units. I apologize the post is a bit general and might be premature, but since I am new and eager to learn, I thought I will share this post with you and hear from the community your thoughts on if it is profitable to invest there since the house appreciation rate is fairly low. Thanks a lot in advance and have a lovely week!   

Welcome to BP @Gal Kochavi-Jones ! You’ll find a good number of folks on here from Louisville. 

This is my second time in the area and I think you’ll be able to find some great deals that cash flow.

As you're preparing to move just keep exploring the site and learning all you can. There is a large REI group that you can connect to on here or through the meet up site.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions! 

@Jordan Moorhead Hey ! that's great to hear that its going great for you and the market is profitable! a house hack would be an ideal but it all depends if we will be able to find a solid property in a good neighborhood ( because of my little ones.. ). if we are not able to find in a decent neighborhood then we will only be investing. Would love to hear more about your successes! 

@Allan Bishop Jr. Thanks a lot! I am super excited to start exploring the wonders of Real Estate.   I am defiantly trying to sock in as much information as possible and learn as much as I can both from the content on the website and most from people that achieved their financial goal. We are planning on relocating at the beginning of next month and would love to connect! 

@Jordan Moorhead my sister in law lives there. That's a great area! I haven't seen anything in my price range ( We have about $60k to invest ) but I don't have access to the MLS so want able to explore what's really out there. Do you think that the area has already peaked yet? since the house appreciation rate is fairly low, where/what do you invest in?

@Gal Kochavi-Jones I’m not sure if it’s peaked or not. I invest on the other side of the 264 close to newburg rd. My fathers a realtor and has helped me buy the three 6 units that I’ve purchased.
@Gal Kochavi-Jones I just sold what I had in MN but will look for another soon. I invest in KY because I’m from there, like the returns and have some advantages from living there for 20+ years. I’m also looking in Austin/San Antonio area and should be closing on a place in Austin this Monday.

Hello! @Gal Kochavi-Jones

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Highlands is always a safe bet for rentals and appreciating values.  It is not slowing down.  It is actually pushing its growth into neighboring areas like Germantown, Shelby Park, Smoketown.  These areas are all experiencing crazy growth over the past few years.  You can still find some multi unit properties that could be a house hack in these areas and Old Louisville for decent price.  It is a hot market and very competitive currently.  Know what you want, know your numbers, and be ready to act fast.  Good deals don't last long.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you