Just wanted to say hi!

8 Replies

Hi! :)

I am from scorching AZ and thought I would introduce myself.

Below is my profile "about me".

In 2018, the light bulb went off for me.

Many of you know this feeling.

I have committed my life to personal development and attaining financial freedom, using real estate as that vehicle.

Currently, I am a physical therapy student.

I am working on the skills of attaining money, keeping money, and using money.

My 5 year plan is to save what I can as a broke student, eventually completing my savings as a graduate and new physical therapist.

Over my next 5 years of saving, my goal is to read over 150 books and learn everything I can about real estate and business topics.

I believe this knowledge and quest to build relationships with local investors will allow me to hit the ground running once my savings and career goals catch up.

I lover BiggerPockets, and I am excited to be active in the community.

I am a newbie, but I will not be a newbie that posts one time and disappears forever.

Say Hi!

Best wishes,

Gabriel

Welcome to BP! Real estate has made more millionaires than about any other investment vehicle out there. If I may, I think you are putting real estate up on a big pedestal and you can start investing much faster than 5 years. Maybe not in your market. You can buy houses for 9k where I live, with a rehab of 8-9k. 18k all in. That 2 bedroom 1 bath will rent for $700 all day.

You could get started if you use your mind and just make it happen, some way, somehow. For my first deal, I went to a credit union and asked for a 10k unsecured loan, I borrowed against a 401k, and used excess student loan money to fund the rest. Now, I’m going back to school, as my employer reimburses 85% of how much my classes are, and taking out $10,500 a semester in student loans to do more deals. I currently have 4 properties under my belt, and with a little hustle, I’ll have 6 properties this time next year.

You don’t need to save, you need to grind. Think outside the box. Do a deal, and others will want to partner with you after you have proved you can kick butt on your own; it will grow from there.

3 books: Rich Dad Poor Dad, The Secrets of The Millionaire Mind by Harv Ekler, and The Richest Man in Babylon. Perhaps even consider reading The Millionaire Next Door. After you read those you’ll be pumped up and ready to think outside the box to go invest somewhere in the country in a cash flowing asset.

Best of luck my friend.

Updated almost 3 years ago

Harv Eker

Wow that was great insight Jonathan thank you.

My biggest concern is simply not having an income of reserve while going to school and capex or expenses putting me underwater. 

That is a great idea about using student loans as a capital source. I was debating on that as well.

Maybe I will be able to invest sooner while in school. After I've become more educated on the matter.

Hello and welcome!  You've come to a great place to learn all you need to know to get started in RE.  Stay focused on your goal, don't take no for an answer, and enjoy the journey!

Welcome! Avoid the gurus, avoid anyone that uses ridiculous words like "always" or "never". For example, a blog post titled, "You can NEVER make money with $30,000 houses!" or "You should ALWAYS pay 30% down!"

Forums and blogs are great resources but they're also full of bad advice from people that haven't even invested yet or have avoided problems through sheer luck. Read some books and watch the podcats, build a foundation, and then get started. You'll learn more from your first few properties than you would from another ten books so at some point you just have to move.

I also recommend you err on the side of caution for your first investment or two. You don't want to make a major mistake and derail the entire plan right out the gate.

Finally, be sure to "like" people's posts and blogs when they are helpful.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you