Currently deployed, wanting R.E. Education

4 Replies

Hello, My name is Riley, and I am currently deployed to the Middle East with my army national guard unit. During this deployment I will have the opportunity to put away roughly $50,000. I just graduated college with a Marketing and Business Adminstration degree (I worked throughout and had military assistance so i was able to graduate debt free. The 50k will be solely used for investing). I am trying to soak up as much information on real estate investing so that I can hit the ground running when I land back stateside. What books/podcasts/articles/other resources would you guys recommend so that I can widen my knowledge of real estate investing and give myself the best opportunity for success? Thank you in advance! -Riley
@Riley Burke Welcome to the community! Happy to hear you’ve decided to invest in real estate. There is a ton of information out there and it is very easy to get overwhelmed. BP has an Ultimate Beginner’s Guide that you can find on the website. This is a good place to start. My advice is to not bombard yourself with information. It can end up having a negative effect once you realize how much there is to know about real estate. As soon as possible, I would find a very specific niche so that you can shift your focus on learning everything about that niche. The second thing i suggest you focus on is funding. 50K is a great amount of money to start with, however, it’s always better business to leverage other people’s money so that you have some capital to fall back on for the unexpected. Good luck on your journey! PM me if you have any questions along the way :)

I don't really have any book recommendations other than just read everything on Biggerpockets and you'll learn a lot. I do suggest you learn about your VA loan benefits, i'm not sure how the eligibility works for guard members. If you do qualify for a VA loan you can put a 0% down payment on a property and also pay no mortgage insurance. I would look into buying a duplex or up to a fourplex and live in one unit and rent the other units out. Keep your 50k for emergencies or repairs or even find another duplex/fourplex to buy with a conventional loan. A pretty easy and simple way of getting started in your real estate adventure.

@Riley Burke I have an online VA Home Loans course for free. Veterans One Academy. It’s just me talking into a PowerPoint - but it’s good information if you want to learn about Lending/VA. Let me know if you have any questions. I also have a book that I wrote called “the va home loan field manual”. Let me know what I can do to help! Great job learning while you hurry up and wait! Daniel Lehman USMC Veteran

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you