• Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
20 units in about 19 months, not new member but new intro

Hector Vazquez
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Sep 1 2018, 06:35

Hi All,

I have been buying and renting homes for the last two years. I have been a member for about that same period of time, I have always looked at the posts and listings and have responded to several of them have contributed as much as I can. It has been difficult with having my own business and HR consulting outsourcing plus doing the real estate and maintaining a wife and daughter happy. That being said I’m making a conscious decision of being more involved in this group. Here’s my story, I have about 20 units and a couple in process. I buy and hold, and are considering our first flip later this year.  I have purchased these units in about the last 19 months. After my first deal I got hooked.  Both my wife and I are attorneys, and have multiple graduate degrees (MBA, MHA, LLM).  We achieved this at a very early age. As you can imagine we also have hundreds of thousands in student loans, given that my wife and I are both from Puerto Rico and had to pay out-of-state tuition everywhere we went. Of course I would have done this differently if I had read Rich dad poor dad and all the books I read after this, plus other podcasts I have been listening for the last 18 months. Unfortunately hindsight is 20 we achieved this at a very early age. As you can imagine we also have hundreds of thousands in student loans, given that my wife and I are both from Puerto Rico and had to pay out-of-state tuition everywhere we went. Of course I would have done this differently if I had read Rich dad poor dad and all the books I read after this, plus other podcasts I have been listening for the last 18 months. Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20  however I decided to do something about it  my first step was to create my own business about four years ago on HR outsourcing and consulting  which increase my income pretty well, however scaling it up has been a challenge, Specifically after I got hooked on real estate. However I decided to scale up the real estate business. Given all our student loans, the traditional financing options are not available. After reading investing with no money down, I did a lot of research on land contracts.  I knew that this was probably the only viable model for us. Therefore all the single family homes we have purchased, and duplex (soon to be two duplexes) .   Have been  purchased with seller finance. I have created a table where I tier  all the contracts and their  balloon payments.  The model has worked very well, and the first house is scheduled to be paid off in about 18 months. Mos of our deals have a 25% + coc except one, which was a mistake but it breaks even. We are constantly looking for seller finance deals, given that these are the ones we are eligible for. I am hoping that I can scale up sufficiently where a bank or a lender (private or commercial) is willing to look at us for financing and hopefully refinancing the whole portfolio or give us financing where we can start purchasing in with methods so we have more options on the table given that seller finance deals are hard to come by some times.  We currently work and live in indianapolis and all my units are in indianapolis, within 10 mins to 30mins from Me.

Not sure what other info usually new member, or new introductions include but I hope this helps to tell our story. 

Hope you are all well and enjoy the long weekend.

Loading replies...