Jumping Back In Charlottesville VA

5 Replies

My name is Dan. I am 50 years old and live in the bucolic college town of Charlottesville Virginia. I am an emergency physician and know that I don't want to do shift work forever although I do enjoy patient care. I bought my first house in 2000 and when we sized up (and into town) 5 years later we kept the first house and rented it out. Then in 2008 I bought a duplex in town. Both of them cash flowed $200/month for the house and $50 per door for the duplex and we managed them ourselves.

Fast forward 4 years and I got separated and heading for divorce. It was not amicable and was financially devastating. Both properties had to be sold (at a significant profit) and much of this money went to my lawyer. Now I'm happy to say I have come out on the other end a happier man. I am remarried to the most amazing woman a guy could have. I have loved real estate since my early days as a landlord and am looking to buy some rental properties

Welcome to the fold Dan, I'm a new investor in the C-ville area and would like to meet other like minded people, and chat about real estate!

...at the moment I'm overseas attached to a ship in Guam, but I should return in a couple months and I hope to get back into it.

Cheers!

Dan, I am currently investing in the Charlottesville and surrounding area.  I focus primarily on multi family buy and hold investment properties.  I would be interested in looking into deals with someone who likes to get renter into the properties and manage them.  I also manage a construction company so I am use to getting subs in to fix issues and renovate properties.  I currently have 6 units in Louisa county and 2 units out of state.  If you are interested in chatting and seeing if we may be on the same page the hit me up and IM me.  

@Dan Ricciardi , I have returned! My background...well, I'm in the Merchant Marines as a Marine Engineer. I work on Ships and tend to be out on the sea more then on land, but eventually I'll transition back to a land based job. In the meantime I want to get into REI. I currently have zero investments, but I'm eager to get going. The past few months have been a bit of a research and learning curve for me...albeit a distracted and inefficient one. I'm most interested in the buy and hold strategy including renting and house hacks. :)

@Timothy Allen Kidd , Welcome! A contact in the area who knows sub-contractors and various repair people...good to know! :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you