A Big Hello from Santa Rosa, California

12 Replies

Hi BiggerPockets,

I live in California's beautiful North Bay aka California's Wine Country. I grew up in Southern California (mostly Encinitas) and I've spent most of my adult life in Northern California. I'm new to REI. My experience in real estate goes back over a decade when I was living in the East Bay (Oakland). I took a job as the "on-site resident manager" in a 24 unit apartment building. At the time I felt like I wasn't getting a good deal but a discount on the rent was something at least. Now, I know I was getting nowhere near the 8-12% property managers charge. I was getting 1% and I was skimming the pool. After my lease was up, I moved into another rental thinking property management wasn't for me. Even though I didn't mind the work it just didn't pay enough. If only I'd read Rich Dad, Poor Dad then!

Fast-forward to today and I’m reading, listening, learning and starting to the make connections, so I can make my first deal. Since I live in a particularly expensive part of California I’m looking out of my home state for investments. After researching several areas in the midwest and south I decided on MIlwaukee, Wisconsin! So, say hello if you’d like to connect.

Thanks,

Justin

-----

I’ll be posting updates here as things progress. 

Hey Justin!

Awesome that you are getting into investing now! I am also from California and investing in a few midwest areas (including MKE). Would be happy to connect and hear why you choose Milwaukee. 

Jonathan 

Hi Jonathan,

Several reasons, like easy access to background info on tenants and the it's bulk foreclosure program.  Also, I have to thank BP member Dawn Anastasi for writing a great book on investing in the area.

Originally posted by @Justin Thompson :

Hi Jonathan,

Several reasons, like easy access to background info on tenants and the it's bulk foreclosure program.  Also, I have to thank BP member Dawn Anastasi for writing a great book on investing in the area.

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi :
Originally posted by @Justin Thompson:

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks!

You're welcome Dawn,

You're book really helped me when I was having some analysis paralysis deciding where to start. I look forward to the 5th edition.

Hi Justin, well, you may not have gotten paid well, but you have probably learned more than you think. Milwaukee is an interesting market, with many different areas that could not be more different in character, age and population - and it is competitive. You should plan on a trip and take a look at the city first hand!

Welcome to Milwaukee Justin!  There is a great Investor Network here to aide your growth, best of luck!

Originally posted by @Jonathan Roberts :

Hey Justin!

Awesome that you are getting into investing now! I am also from California and investing in a few midwest areas (including MKE). Would be happy to connect and hear why you choose Milwaukee. 

Jonathan 

I also was an “entrepreneur”. That is, until I became "a real estate mogul" and you said“I am currently looking for another market to invest in” Quote From your profile ;-). Entrepreneuring changes. Real estate doesn't. When do you make the jump?

Hello! @Justin Thompson

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you