My name is David, I've been listening to the BiggerPockets Podcast for several months now and was happy to see that there seems to be a solid Canadian community here. I'm 25 years old, living in Ottawa and recently graduated university with a BComm in accounting. I played major junior hockey in the "Q" (for anyone from Quebec or the Maritimes) for four years so started school a little late but am happy to have a full time job starting this month. My plan is to try and excel in my new career and begin building up multiple streams of income through real estate investing. While I'm quite young and not worried about "early retirement", financial independence is definitely the end goal and the freedom it provides.
Lacking much in funds, my summer has been spent reading and learning as much as I can. Some of the pillar books specific to real estate I've read recently are:
- "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" - Robert T. Kiyosaki
- "Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System" - Don R. Campbell
- "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures" - Frank Gallinelli
- "The Book on Rental Property Investing" - Brandon Turner
Pretty much every BiggerPocket Podcast in the last 6 months...
Also since Brandon Turner and David Greene are big on business books, a few that really opened my mind over the last year or two are:
- "So Good They Can't Ignore You" - Cal Newport
- "The Millionaire Next Door" - William D. Danko
- "The Undoing Project" - Michael Lewis
Overall, my main concern is the numbers talked about for some of the American markets seem unrealistic here in Ottawa, even relative to the surrounding smaller towns. But then again, I'm sure the good deals are still out there waiting to be made. My hope here is to connect with others of the same mindset, learn all I can, and provide as much value as possible moving forward.
Here's to connecting with you all!
@David Weckworth Aloha man ! wow you've been busy i see ! congrats on getting started and as for education and wanting to learn more this is an awesome site where you can get a ton of information but you need to know what you're doing all this information can be an overload if you dont know exactly what you want to do in the game man ! and if you ever need a helping hand im always willing to lend one man. best of luck to you david
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you