Newbie in Syracuse, NY area

7 Replies

Hi. My name is Ed Francis and live in the Syracuse, NY area. I currently work in the Information Technology department for one of the companies.

I'm new to real estate and started listening to the Bigger Pockets podcasts a few months ago when my friend who is a landlord and owns several properties told me about it. After listening to the podcasts and talking to my landlord friend about his real estate experiences, I became more interested in real estate. One of the main reasons why I want to do real estate is because after losing my job last because to a merger, I wanted to have another way to provide for my family and to reach financial independence one day.

My goal is to become a buy and hold investor, buying duplexes and multi-families in my area and possibly out of state. 

Welcome, Edward! You're in the right place - so many of us look at real estate as a way to minimize the uncertainty we feel in our day jobs. Knowing you have multiple streams of income makes work challenges just a little easier to manage.

So glad you've already plugged into the podcasts - just a wealth of information there that helped me so much when I started out - and honestly, it still does today. 

Best of luck on your journey and look forward to following your successes!

Hey Edward! I'm in Syracuse as well! I learned about BP recently and am in the process of closing on my first property.

There are a lot of opportunities in the Syracuse area depending on what you're looking for. 

A good way to get connected would be to look up @RobSawyer on BP and attend his events. They are hosted on the first Tuesday evening of the month (I believe). 

Good luck out there and hit me up if you want to connect or have any deals to talk about!

Welcome @Edward Francis ! I'm in Syracuse too and I own a few singles in addition to managing a few more. It's been a good place for me over the last 4-5 years as an investor and we're looking to keep growing soon. I go to Rob Sawyer's meet ups sometimes so maybe I'll see you there next month?

Welcome to the community @Edward Francis , we hope to see you around! I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. I'm an investor, broker and property manager in the CNY area. If there's anything I or my team can do to help, let us know!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am looking forward to coming to the next meetup in October. 

@Esmir O. Thanks, I actually saw the job loss as a blessing, because it did allow me to grow and persevere through that tough times and to switch careers into IT and that no job is safe. If that didn't happen then I probably would be more reluctant about becoming a real estate investor. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you