Newbie from Raeford, North Carolina

15 Replies

Hello BP Community, 

My name is Justin and I've been silently roaming around BP for about a year now. I am a military member, stationed in the Fayetteville area of North Carolina. My day job includes IT, and other military communications specialties. My spare time is mostly spent catching up with the wife and kid, studying up on new tech, and recently researching/reading about real-estate investing. 

I currently own 2 properties (not free and clear) in Raeford, NC. One is my starter home which is now rented out (~130K), and the other is my primary residence (~$240k). Both homes are single-family, and not really optimal investment properties since I wasn't enlightened before purchasing them. I am looking to learn, participate, and eventually assist others in real-estate investing. 

A couple of years ago I met a gentleman at a gathering who mentioned the BP community after I told him I was planning on renting out my first home. I went home that night, downloaded the app and immediately started sifting through some of the discussions on the forums. I have to admit I was overwhelmed by the amount of information and experience located in this community. Fast-forward a couple of years later and I find myself listening to eBooks, podcasts, and socializing among friends about options for a better retirement. 

From the little I've learned, I realize that real-estate can be a great investment vehicle for providing or supplementing a retirement plan. As of now, my goal is to make enough investment income to supplement my military pension in 10 years. If I am successful, then I will not need to work an undesirable 9-5 after military retirement. If I am not successful, then I will use my IT skills to provide for my family and continue to build upon traditional retirement. 

I welcome any questions, and advice. I look forward to being a part of the BP community!

Respectfully, 

Justin Melendez

Note: Having issues uploading a profile photo.

@Justin M.

Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

@Justin M. Check out the monthly meeting that Becky Addison and Wayne Suggs host the last Wednesday of the month in Fayetteville. Go to MeetUp to sign up...

@Christian Hansen thanks for the reply. The Raleigh area is on my radar as far as rental properties go. I’d be in the market for some property management if I end up investing in your area. Look forward to connecting.

@Justin M. Hi Justin! There’s also a meetup in Southern Pines you may want to check out. I have a few rentals in Raleigh and would be glad to get together to talk about the Triangle market if you’re ever in our area. 

Hey @Justin M. ! I run the Meetup with here in Southern Pines. I live in Aberdeen. Shoot me an email and I will put you on the reminder list. Brandon actually has done some work in Raeford. The meetup is the 2nd Tuesday of the month and we usually do it at Hickory Tavern, but we have plans to switch it up moving forward, so you have to check the emails or look in the Events section here 

Would love to connect, feel free to reach out.

@Joseph we will be in touch, I’m out of town training until mid October, once I get back I’d love to connect with the Fayetteville/So Pines groups.

@Justin M. Hey Justin, I have a rental property in Southern Pines but have not attended the meetups yet.  Glad to see Joseph got you connected!  I'm in Southern Pines sometimes to check on our property and see family (Incidentally, my brother in law has an orthodontics practice in Raeford).  Perhaps we could get together when I'm in town if that would be easier.  Just let me know!

@Justin M. hey man, welcome to the club!  Im a military member too and have 6 rentals throughout the Southern Pines / Durham area.  

Our goals sound pretty similar.  I am working toward supplementing my military pension when I get out in 9 years or so, so that I can do / work wherever I want.

I have found that one of the hardest parts about being in real estate is not finding deals, so much as it is raising the money to buy the deals that I want to do (Buy and Hold), especially since Buy and Hold is pretty capital intensive.   But I have started dabbling in flipping (ive got a pretty good team in Southern Pines) and ive found that a good mix for me is 2 x Flips then 1x buy and Hold.  Rinse and repeat.   Id love to do more around here (and especially in Durham), but you know how busy the military keeps you.

Either way, welcome man and hit me up anytime!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you