Book Recommendations for Spouse?

15 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am new to Bigger Pockets and to real estate investing. My plan is to focus on the three areas I know best: Metro Detroit, Huntsville, Alabama and Metro Washington, DC. I'd love to connect with anyone interested in any of these areas! Initially my wife and I plan on BRRRR'ing single-family homes and eventually scaling up to multi-family.

Here's my question:  I am an attorney and, by my nature and my profession, am pretty analytical.  I'm using various books, online resources and the Bigger Pockets podcast (half way done!) as a road map of how I intend on analyzing deals.  My wife, however, is in advertising and is more of a "right brain" person who is more creative and artsy. 

We want my wife to be equally involved in our new side-hustle, so are there any introductory type of books that you would recommend to help my wife get in the right mindset for running a real estate business?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting some of you!

Kevin

@Kevin Mulvaney

Obviously every relationship is different, but I tried to get my wife listening to podcasts, books, etc, but eventually could tell she just wasn't that interested.  She has a full time job and we have 3 kids, so I found other things she enjoyed about real estate to get her involved (and talked about it constantly).

For example, I found she loves looking through the MLS and driving for dollars together, so I really latched onto that. I'm sure you both have strengths that you can leverage to have different roles in the business. Despite me being the active partner in our business, I also used a tip from the podcasts and started giving her a bonus once a deal was done. I've done that twice now and she's loves it despite being a fairly frugal person.

Her role has also been as a sounding board for challenges and she also helps keep me focused.  At first she was very hesitant own rental properties, deal with the unknown, etc.  Now she 100% bought in and actually helps push me when I start having doubts about my path.

Of course as books go, Rich Dad Poor Dad is tough to beat in terms of a conceptual understanding of why real estate.

I hope your journey goes well!

I would start with the Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller. The books here on BP are great too. But I've always seen the Millionaire Real Estate Investor as sort of the gold standard of introductory books.

Hi @Kevin Mulvaney

If you know Metro Detroit pretty good, love to connect with you with me being from Metro Detroit hope I can provide massive value for you. I help busy people build cash flow portfolio so they do not have to work so hard. If you ever have any questions about the market in Metro Detroit ask away. 

@Kevin Mulvaney "Rich dad poor dad" is what about 99% of the RE investors say turn them to real estate. I'd personally recommend she starts with "The richest man in Babylon".

Best of luck to you both! 

In the near future, you might be interested in... this one. It's on its way!

If your wife is more right-brain, I can definitely relate. I've noticed that I do better with more general personal finance/business books than with nitty-gritty real estate books. You might have her check out Set for Life (which is personal finance, though real estate-based), Retire Early with Real Estate, or Rich Dad, Poor Dad (like everyone is suggesting). They all talk a lot about the "why" behind investing, and that could help get her excited!

Originally posted by @Kevin Mulvaney :

Hello everyone,

I am new to Bigger Pockets and to real estate investing. My plan is to focus on the three areas I know best: Metro Detroit, Huntsville, Alabama and Metro Washington, DC. I'd love to connect with anyone interested in any of these areas! Initially my wife and I plan on BRRRR'ing single-family homes and eventually scaling up to multi-family.

Here's my question:  I am an attorney and, by my nature and my profession, am pretty analytical.  I'm using various books, online resources and the Bigger Pockets podcast (half way done!) as a road map of how I intend on analyzing deals.  My wife, however, is in advertising and is more of a "right brain" person who is more creative and artsy. 

We want my wife to be equally involved in our new side-hustle, so are there any introductory type of books that you would recommend to help my wife get in the right mindset for running a real estate business?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting some of you!

Kevin

The challenge is getting her to actually read them! I gave my fiancé "start late, finish rich" two years ago and she hasn't cracked it. Same for Rich dad, poor dad, et al. 

I think that Rich dad, poor dad is probably the best book for someone to start with to get their mindset right. I believe it gets people to understand the thought process that motivate RE investors. Hopefully your wife shows more interest than mine! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you