Votes
Brian Morris
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
New Investor, goal: engineer -> REI

Brian Morris
  • Huntsville, AL
Posted Sep 25 2018, 10:18

This is my first BP post.  My name is Brian; I'm 35, and an engineer in Huntsville, AL (rocket city).  For my first investment, I am pursuing apartment buildings for passive income.  I've been doing quite a bit of reading and networking over the last few weeks.  I've had bouts of intimidation, doubt, etc.  That having been said, I've made up my mind to do this.  I'd like to get my first deal out of the way.

The one most important member I'm missing is a commercial realtor.  Finding one that fits my needs is not as easy as cold calling random firms in the area.  I've discovered that:

1. They only work with industrial and/or retail (and seem curious/surprised why I'm investigating apartments)
  2. They are the listing agents for properties in the area (it is a sellers market where I live).

Being a first time investor, I'd like to have a trusted professional in my corner; using a listing agent (at least to me) represents a conflict of interest.

Should I be cold calling firms outside of my immediate locale, such as major cities nearby (or national)?  I liked the idea of having a local firm, especially since I'll need a property manager as well.  I have no doubt I can track someone down (or on here), but any advice would certainly shrink that timeline.

Loading replies...