Looking into Bakersfield CA properties, any locals

2 Replies

Hello new to bigger pockets. Looking to purchase in within the next 3 months in the city of Bakersfield CA. Up to 600k purchase price. Will self manage property. Wondering if anybody if from the city and tips in area of city in Where to beware. I've been to Oildale and seen how many don't like "outsiders " there. I'm Mexican but I'm not afraid of investing in that neighborhood if the deal makes sense and the numbers add up. I've seen some deals in there that catch my attention and wondering if anybody here has very good reasons why not to invest there. I know there is many other areas in the city that can be better but if I get a very good return on my money in a deal there I am open to it. Let me know thanks

Hello @Rudy Avila !

I would recommend looking into the Southwest. 93313 area code is a developing area of town. With your purchase price you could purchase multiple properties.

It's not necessarily a BAD place to purchase in Oildale, it just isn't the BEST place to own. I actually lived there for 7 years, so I know it's not as bad as the reputation says. However, I'm trying to think of the most delicate way to say this... Oildale is a bit lower class, and the stereotypical renters are less conscious of the upkeep of properties. 

Happy investing!

@Rudy Avila glad to hear that you are looking in the area.  If your idea is cash flow, then you are definitely in the right place being in Oildale.  It may be true that they don't like 'outsiders' but look at my profile picture haha.  I have worked in that area many times and I'm still here haha.  

Another thing about Oildale, is that we are getting Amazon fulfillment which would add a few thousand jobs, L'oreal which will add another thousand ish jobs and many more logistics based jobs coming to that area over the near future as well.  If you look at the average wages of a facilities worker ($20-$30K/yr), they will fit right into this area, the rents, and the prices.  

Given your budget I would recommend looking into commercial multi-family or commercial NNN spaces. If you know who to talk to there can be some good deals on these types of spaces.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you