Mentor suggestions for beginners

7 Replies

Hello all, 

I think I've started this process several times now to no avale. I've taken some time off to become financially stable and to create a savings. Now going back I realized I had no guidance or help outside of videos and success stories. But I feel as if a key piece of starting is a mentor. 

So my question to everyone here, how would I go about looking for a mentor? Someone I can seek guidance from, not someone who's looking for money or a person to go in for a quick flip. I would like to get in touch with someone who's been in my shoes and would love to pass on their experience. 

For location purposes I live in Pearland, TX. Just south of Houston. 

Thank you for your time. 

Hi Tyler, I am a local investor in Pearland. About 5 years ago I was in your shoes. I’m happy to have a discussion with you - either by phone of over coffee. The good news is that there are many folks in Pearland that are new to investing and are now doing deals. I would set up a key word alert for Pearland and get involved with some of the meet ups. 

Best,

Damon

Hello @Tyler Shaulis  thanks for sharing your story. You are certainly on the right track in joining BP and purposefully seeking out mentorship/support. Your story is quite similar to mine. I started out in 2016 with fix/flipping and it would have made a world of a difference if I had a mentor to guide me back then. After learning the fundamentals in the hardest (yet most effective) way possible, I am wholesaling for now and plan to get back into flipping and finally buy/hold (hopefully in the not too distant future). 

I completely agree with @Damon Santa Maria and I can personally say that he is a reasourceful person and it would indeed be smart to attend local meetups as well. We have one in Pearland that I have attended (that’s where I met Damon). Finding a mentor is challenging (to say the least)... I have found that it comes down to simply networking and confiding in others when you’re unsure about anything. There isn’t a situation in which you could possibly find yourself, that someone has not previously experienced. 

The “Pearland” keyword as well as any other details that you may be interested in is also a great idea. I have recently come to find that there are countless Facebook groups that can serve as a support system for new investors as well as networking. 

Good luck!

Welcome, @Tyler Shaulis ! So glad you found Bigger Pockets early in your journey.

A few tips that may be helpful to you here on the BP website as you build your portfolio:

You can set up keyword alerts so anytime someone posts about Pearland, Houston or any of the other markets you're evaluating, you'll be notified. That could be a great way to find and stay engaged with local investors, realtors and opportunities. http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Looks like you've already made some connections with other BP members in your area...You can also search for other investors or brokers in your market and follow their journey on Bigger Pockets here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

I agree that mentors can be important to your success, but lots of us started by listening to all the BP podcasts and reading the forums and those people, collectively, were our only real mentors in the beginning. Then through local REIAs and connections, we slowly built an in-person network. So don't let the absence of local mentor keep you from getting on this path...take advantage of all these resources and the right people will find their way to you.

Best of luck to you and look forward to following your success on BP!

Originally posted by @Anino Adokpaye :

I completely agree with @Damon Santa Maria and I can personally say that he is a reasourceful person and it would indeed be smart to attend local meetups as well. We have one in Pearland that I have attended (that’s where I met Damon). 

Hi Anino! What meetup are you referring to? I'm definitely interested in checking it out. Thanks!

@Tyler Shaulis - have you thought about also joining a real estate mastermind group? Forbes defines 7 reasons to join a Mastermind Group as (I paraphrased) : Exclusive Community. Advisement. Collaboration. Network Extension. New Learning. Cross-promotion. Think Bigger.

I love that last one. THINK BIGGER. 

The buzz word in REI is mentor but I'm held more accountable by my mastermind group than my mentor. BOTH are great to have but the mastermind keeps me more accountable on the daily tasks I need to accomplish my REI goals.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you