Right up front I have to say that I have had a very negative experience using Appfolio. It was so bad that I cancelled and incurred the cancellation penalty which in my case cost $1,000. I promised that I would share my experience so hopefully others can avoid the same problems I had.
They promised that the software would simplify our business practices and help us to run our business. In reality it was clunky and awkward. The actual product doesn't do what we were promised it would do. Our tenants had a very negative experience using it which then caused major problems for us and negatively affected our bottom line.
After a huge amount of effort on our part to make it work and a few awkward "Work Arounds" from Appfolio it was clear that it would never work the way it had been sold to us. Then they charged us the cancellation fee even though they couldn't deliver what was promised. In our case that was $1,000.
I wish they put half as much effort into making their product work as they do into collecting their fees from customers.
Expensive, unflexible, and not worth the effort. Bottom line stay away.
What was it that it wouldn't do?
- Could not customize the application to ask for the info that we want
- Charged a $26 convenience fee for credit card payments. Even though we had been promised that it would be 3% which would be around $5 for the rents we collect.
- Doesn't automate bookkeeping. You still have to manually load everything into Appfolio.
- Several of our tenants had set up autopay, then for some glitch or unknown reason appfolio cancelled them. But bacause of how the system works it is very hard to notice this. I only noticed this when my tenants asked me about it.
- After we terminated our agreement and confirmed that everything was turned off Appfolio sent out payment requests to tenants who had already paid rent causing 1 more round of frustration and confusion.
So what doesn't it do? It doesn't work well.
I did really like the way they process leases. But I can get 90% of that from docusign for a fraction of the cost.
The other thing they do well is collect money from their clients as they keep giving them hoops to jump through.
Every time we brought up an issue they would schedule a phone call a week later give us some "Work around". Our workload in terms of time spent managing things more then doubled and he had less understanding of what was going on. This was because all of our efforts were spent on trying to make appfolio work instead of trying to make our business work.
Anyone that writes a review is either really happy or really mad. I am the 2nd one. I wish I weren't I had really high hopes for this. If it worked half as well as what was promised and sold to us I'd be a happy camper.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you