New Boston real estate investor

23 Replies

Hi my name is Avery Heilbron. I live in the Boston area and just graduated from college and am interested in real estate investing. I am a data analyst by day and an avid reader/listener of property investment material by night. I am originally from Vancouver, Canada and made my way out here through playing soccer in college. 

I found my way to BiggerPockets through Kai Anderson's "Retire on Real Estate" and am currently reading Brandon Turner's book. My goal in real estate is to eventually quit my day job and be in the investment property game full time. As a first move what interests me the most is finding a multifamily property that I can also live in.

Every podcast I listen to or  however many pages I read I have so many more questions! I am looking to start networking and finding the right people to be around and the right people to talk to. 

I look forward to anyone's help in any shape or form!

Thank you,

Avery Heilbron

Welcome to the BP family @Avery Heilbron ! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you: *

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

Welcome, @Avery Heilbron ! So glad you found Bigger Pockets early in your journey.

The podcast was such a key for me in building my knowledge base and confidence to start the investing journey - so you're definitely on the right path in plugging into the podcasts and reading books on the industry - especially by Brandon Turner!

Lots of folks here in the forums with wisdom and experience so always feel free to search for answers to you many questions, or launch new ones of your own.

Best of luck to you and look forward to following your success on BP!

@Avery Heilbron Welcome!  There's a Masters Degree in the podcasts.  I'd recommend going back to Episode 1 and listening to them all.

Also, stay active in these forums.  Where other investing sites are 95% BS and 5% useful discussion, BP is the inverse.  You'll find over 1M members here genuinely trying to help each other out.

Good luck!

Welcome to BG, @Avery Heilbron . Any real estate deals in Boston that make sense? Have you read the book,  "What every real estate investor needs to know about cash flow...and 36 other key financial measures" by Frank Gallinelli. If you're ever back in Vancouver, B.C. and want to chat real estate investing, let me know! 

Welcome to BiggerPockets @Avery Heilbron ! You'll find plenty of useful information browsing the forums, reading the blogs, and listening to the podcasts. I'd also try to connect with other people local to your area who have done what you are looking to do.

You'll see some more reasonable deals outside of Boston, for sure. Some parts of Suffolk county still offer good opportunities with Middlesex and Norfolk county offering even more if you're willing to be outside of the city a bit further. Quincy specifically still has a lot of growth potential even though prices have increased substantially the last 2+ years but also has 4 red line stops through the city.

@Avery Heilbron Welcome. Happy to see you are interested in investing right out of college. One thing I would have done differently looking back is to start early. I believe local RE networking events would be good for you to get to know other investors and also learn more about our local market. We are hosting a meetup in a couple of weeks just outside of Boston and it's at one of our latest flips. It might be a good event for you to attend as you get to hear the full story of how we found the flip, how we ran the numbers etc. Plus it's a great networking opportunity to connect with other local investors. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you