Howdy! Newbie from Houston, TX

11 Replies

Hello members of Bigger Pockets!

I'm a young I.T. Professional looking to get into buy and hold real estate and/or buy and flip real estate. The first and only property that I have is my current starter house (3 bdr 2 baths) that my wife and I occupy. We've been in this house for about 2 1/2 years at the time of me writing this. It's such a great little starter home in a great location! So when we do decide to move, I don't want to sell it. My goal is rent it out and keep it for passive income. With that being said, now my plan to learn as much as I can so that I can start investing in more properties for a wealthy future for my family.

I don’t know many people interested in real estate investing, or just investing period like I am so this is why I joined BP. I hope to learn as much as I can well help were I can, make many friendship connections through in the community and maybe find a new golf buddy or two.

Also, I recently discovered real estate photography so I’m currently learning and practicing to build up my skills in that. The goal here is to start a business in that section of photography. I’ve done people photography, but I don’t really have an interest in that side anymore. I still photograph people from time to time, but I’m not as crazy about it. So keep me in mind if you need some shots taken in the future if you’re around the Houston area.

Thanks for the welcome @Matt Engle ! After browsing around the site, listening and watching the Beginner's Guide to REI Course BP YouTube videos, my first goal is to learn the terminology. The next step for me would be to get started. I'm going to give my self at least 3 - 6 months to learn and then by this time next year I want to have my first deal done and on to the next.

@Justin Allen congrats on joining the BP community. My recommendation is to network on here and see who else is in the houston area. There are probably meetups in your market as well you could go to. Meetup.com is a great place to look for those. 

Originally posted by @Justin Allen :
@Scott Morongell thanks! I will definitely utilize meetup to network and further my knowledge.

Your welcome. Depending on what type of real estate you want to pursue there is bootcamps and weekend seminars that could help as well!

Welcome @Justin Allen   

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions about getting started. We used a similar method as you and are learning a lot along the way. good luck and good investing. 

Hello! @Justin Allen

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I have other blogs that may be helpful here on BP in my personal blog that you can check out. Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you