Tidewater Virginia Beginner

21 Replies

Hello! My name Is Melanie and my husband and I have started the education part of our real estate journey! We’ve got our first book down, and beginning to research the area. We’re in the tidewater area of Virginia and if anyone has any knowledge of any great meets or clubs, we’d love to know!
@Ernest Grindle Thanks for the tip, it looks great! I am actively looking for other investors and/or landlords to talk to, and maybe even help with flips or jobs so I can start getting a hands-on idea of what the future holds and this looks like a great place to start. Though my current job does have a fluctuating schedule so I cant make this months meeting sadly; but we’ll see about next months!
@Melanie Heiges You'll find there are a lot of people happy to help you get started. Learn what you can, listen to the podcasts, and reach out whenever you have a question. But you don't really start learning until you have your own deals. My day job keeps me busy too but I find there is still plenty of time to be successful in real estate... And plenty of time to lose money on real estate too ;-) Find local people you trust for advice, like @Patti Robertson and @Shawn Bowen . They are both active at TRIG, along with a bunch of other great people.

Welcome to the BP family @Melanie Heiges ! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you: 

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

Wishing you the best! 

@Ernest Grindle You have been so helpful! You are quite right, but I’m excited for any and all chances, and to learn from any mistakes! Thank you for all the great information! And if you are ever in need of any help, please keep me in mind! We’d be more than happy to help with any rehab if it means learning along the way!

@Melanie Heiges - Since you are in Gloucester, you I'd also suggest you attend the Peninsula Real Estate Investors Assoc (PREIA).  They meet the second Thursday of the month in Hampton.  If you search for PREIA on the Meetup website to find the details.  BP won't let us post website links in the message board.  Also search for the Hampton Roads Landlord Assoc.  You probably can't make all these meetings every month, but you can look at the topics in advance and pick and choose which ones you will get the most out of.  All three (Including (TRIG) are non-profit clubs run by all volunteers. I hope to see you at a local meeting soon!

@Melanie Heiges . Hi Melanie. There is a REIA on the Peninsula and its named PREIA. We meet in Hampton every 2nd Thursday at a Chinese Buffet. You pay only for your meal. You can find out more at this link... Check out VA Peninsula Real Estate Investors Association (PREIA) http://meetu.ps/c/3c6d/BgJjs/d on Meetup Welcome to RE.
@Johnny Napier @Patti Robertson Your suggestions have been great! I didn‘t realize there were restrictions on links in the boards. I’ve RSVPd for the PREIA meeting in November - I can’t wait to get information and hopefully meet you all there! I see a lot of time is dedicated to networking and deals; though we may not be able to make deals, we are hoping to learn about hard money and private lenders in the area, as well as building great relationships.

we always meet the first Wed of the month (unless it’s is a holiday) but also have meeting at other times. See the calendar on Meetup for the schedule for the rest of 2018. 

@Johnny Napier Not yet! We’re still learning the market for Gloucester and the surrounding areas. We’re building capital now, but we want to understand the area, and what might be the best for said capital. Have any BRRRRs going on? I see on your profile you’re close to your goal! We’d love to get you coffee, if you’re ever free or up to, and learn what we can about the area, or how you juggle full time jobs and real estate!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you