Introduction - CHA Newbie Investor

14 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets!

I am a super fan of the BiggerPockets and BiggerPocketsMoney podcasts! I have a member for a few months and am loving seeing all the posts about strategies that are working, deal finding, and general commentary. All of the passive income success is so inspiring and exciting and I am so glad this community shares stories and best practices to help out those of us who are just starting out.

We currently have one duplex in Chattanooga, TN and are looking to grow that this year - hoping to find two similar properties or a quad this year and start moving our passive income needle (currently about $450/mth). I watch the listings daily and run analysis on almost multifamily in Chattanooga, Winchester, Manchester, and Tullahoma. Prefer all brick properties in blue-collar districts. As a non-Chattanooga native, I am very wary of some of the downtown properties on the market due to the high crime and turnover rates. 

I work full-time at UTC for the College of Business and have an Etsy shop where I do lots of custom watercolors of homes, pets, and weddings that is helping to fund faster growth in rentals. 

We have two kids and two dogs and did not follow any of the house-hacking guidance in order to stay in an awesome school district. 

I always love learning from others and have been blessed with guidance and friendship from a couple of local investors but would love to meet up for coffee (my treat) with anyone who wants to talk real estate and what they are seeing in CHattanooga with me. 

@Stephanie Parrish welcome! I’m not in Chattanooga but I did propose to my wife there on Lookout Mountain at Sunset Rock. Beautiful area! We have since done a few deals, investing in Central Florida and Jacksonville! Good luck on your journey, just here to encourage!

@Stephanie Parrish

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to respond to your posts. A lot of forum members are experts in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, buy and hold investing, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. For example, if you are looking to connect with other members near you, want to learn from people in a specific area you’d like to invest in, or have a desire to find people interested in certain topics, you could use the search feature here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that may be of interest: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

Hi @Stephanie Parrish welcome to BP! Awesome that you already have cashflow going. I'm up on Signal Mountain too and I'm currently managing a few properties. Looking to purchase one or two more by 2020. Would love to meetup. I work right next to Mayfly as well! 

Hello @Stephanie Parrish welcome to BP. I joined BP not too long ago and the community is awesome. I’m focused on investing in Chattanooga as well. There’s a monthly Chattanooga meetup that’s usually advertised here. Send me a message if you can’t find it. 

@Stephanie Parrish we have a local meet up once a month. It's super laid back. We have about 30 or so bpers show up and we have a couple drinks. The location varies but it's always the fourth Thursday of the month. Search for Chattanooga Investor Happy Hour and you should be able to find it.

We also have a Facebook page that I could add you. The FB page helps us get the word out on the meet up each money. Let me know if you want an invite to that

@Stephanie Parrish

Welcome Stephanie like everyone else said there is lots of information on the site. We invest in the Chattanooga area along with Marion County, North Georgia, and out towards Nashville. Feel free to email me and I will take you up one day on the coffee. Welcome

@Stephanie Parrish welcome! Chattanooga is such a great area. My wife and I are here for residency for 5 years but have really loved it. We recently purchased a duplex in South Georgia (where we will eventually settle). But, I will definitely plan on doing some investing in this area in the future. I sent you a colleague request. I look forward to hearing back!

Sent you a PM. 

Side note anyone who wants to be added. Please Facebook friend me and send a messenger message and I'll add you. We normally get a pretty good group at the monthly meeting

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you