Where should I put $150k?

8 Replies

Originally posted by @Geoff Garber :

Really like multifamily, but there's nothing in the DFW area I could find at a decent price with 10+% cash on cash.  Wondering where I should put $150k

Welcome aboard Geoff. If I were you'd i'd setup some keyword alerts for the DFW area so you'll get notifications whenever investors around here are talking about the area. You'll start to see who the big players in that market is.

@Geoff Garber

Welcome to BP community! 

In terms of your question, it all comes down to 1) patience, 2) networking, and 3) creativity. 

1) You must take your time to find decent investments and don't rush into things.

2) Networking with like-minded investors here on BP and in person via RI clubs is critical.

3) Try to look for deals that no one else wants and find a way to make them work.  For instance, if there's a duplex in your area that needs huge rehab and nobody is interested in, then come up with an offer that will make it attractive to you and take action. 

My best!

Geoff Garber - I'm active in DFW. 10% CoC is very hard to find these days, but 7% is reasonable. Are looking to buy on your own or with other investors? Which areas are looking? Are you open to other markets? I also like Florida and Georgia. Easier to find higher returns there, though 10% CoC in a solid area is still challenging today. 

@Geoff Garber there are deals everywhere and there are deals for you in your area as well. Use some of that money on marketing until you find the deal your looking for in your area, or in a different area if you choose. Use a website, I use property radar, to generate an excel list of properties you are looking for. You can type in the property information your looking for on these sites and it will generate a list of the property, its owner mailing address and contact information. Use the list to send mail or call the owners. Spend some money to find a great deal!!! If you want to make real estate investing a business then you have to realize we are in a marketing and sales business. You can be the smartest real estate guy in your area but you will also be the brokest if your phone isn't ringing with leads.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you