Hello everybody! New member here!

10 Replies

What's up everybody? I just joined here on Bigger Pockets and wanted to come on here a say what's up! Just a little about what my plans are... So I'm new to this whole real estate investing, I'm really interested in buy and hold rental properties(I'm in Pinellas County, Florida), I work full time but I want little side income as well. Since I'm just starting out, I just got approved for a VA loan for 200k. I'm looking into buying my first duplex. My plan is to live on one side and rent out the other side to start out, I've been on the look out for properties but no luck yet... If anybody on here is in the Pinellas County, FL area and has any tips or ideas for me starting out I would appreciate the help. Anyways ill keep reading on here and learning as much as I can.

Welcome to the BP family @Amardeep Singh ! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! 

Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best! 

@Amardeep Singh welcome! With a VA loan I'm assuming that it need to be turnkey with no rehab needed?

Going to be tough to find in good neighborhoods unless you're looking in north pinellas, near east lake and tarpon springs. The deals for turnkey around St. Pete and Clearwater are very few and far between.

Originally posted by @Amardeep Singh :

What's up everybody? I just joined here on Bigger Pockets and wanted to come on here a say what's up! Just a little about what my plans are... So I'm new to this whole real estate investing, I'm really interested in buy and hold rental properties(I'm in Pinellas County, Florida), I work full time but I want little side income as well. Since I'm just starting out, I just got approved for a VA loan for 200k. I'm looking into buying my first duplex. My plan is to live on one side and rent out the other side to start out, I've been on the look out for properties but no luck yet... If anybody on here is in the Pinellas County, FL area and has any tips or ideas for me starting out I would appreciate the help. Anyways ill keep reading on here and learning as much as I can.

Welcome to the site Amardeep.

@Jason D. Yes I will be using the VA loan so I think it needs to be turnkey, I think they're a lot more strict with approving for a house that needs a lot of work but I'm working with my realtor now to see what's out there. I'm trying to stay in largo/Seminole/P.Park area because I want to be close to work.

@Amardeep Singh Welcome to BP, best site for investors there is! I started my RE journey on BP few years ago and learned a ton! I am in Lutz area, not too far from you. Have you considered house hacking instead of duplex? If you buy a 3 BR house, rent out other 2 rooms if you don't mind sharing your house. Feel free to reach out to discuss RE. Thanks Ally

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here