Rental property numbers

1 Reply

Hi guys I’m located in east Texas I currently have two rentals in Jacksonville. Each one brings in 800/month I’ve had one two years and one for a year. Purchase price for the homes were 57,000 and 59,000, paid for in cash I’m looking for cash flow so I can quit my current job. Problem is home prices seem to have gone up to the 70-90k range and I feel like the most someone would rent for would be 900. I manage my own properties so I’m saving cost there taxes are around 1400/year and insurance is 780 on current homes. I have extra cash laying around and I’m wondering if it would be beneficial to buy homes at a higher price or wait for them to go down or look elsewhere any advice would be appreciated.

@Kyle Tullis The power of leverage. I'll cut and paste a hypothetical analysis I did showing all cash purchase vs leverage. I will give an example. Have $100000 to invest going to use the 1% rule(rent must be 1% of purchase price) and the 50% rule ( half income goes to expenses). Buy 1 house cash or 5 houses 20% down, yes i'm ignoring closing cost. Rent $1000 per month/$500 net for 1 house or $6000 per year. $500 less $430 mortgage = $70 per month net * 5=$350 * 12=$4200 per year. Use 3% rent growth compounded annually for 10 years rents grow to $1344. One house will clear $9128. 5 houses will clear $24840. Yes i know i am ignoring increasing cost. Same 3% inflation for selling = $134400 for 1 house or $672000 for 5 houses. Man those dam mortgages They are paid down to $65073 * 5 =$325365. Equity in 5 houses= $346635. Leverage is power in real estate. Learn to make the money work for you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you