New Member Introduction - Los Angeles

7 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets Community!

I wanted to start with a proper first post and take the time to introduce myself.

I grew up in the Southern California area which remains my current residence. My background is in mechanical engineering and am currently an Engineering Manager in the medical device industry. It brings me tremendous joy to be part of a team dedicated to bringing innovative new products to market which improve the quality of life of our patients.

I am still in the process of doing my due diligence of absorbing and expanding my real estate knowledge as it relates to investing. I am amazed at the support and information this community has to offer and look forward to giving back as well.

My research has landed me in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area in which I plan to jump into real estate investing by leveraging the BRRRR strategy.

Looking forward to meeting and interacting with you all on BP!

What's up my fellow southern CA dude (San Diego, here)! Welcome to the forums and good luck in Dallas! 

Hey @Henry Culpi what made you decide on Dallas/Fort Worth? From my perspective, it'd be tough to get a deal there right now, and even tougher to make money any time soon. I'd love to hear your strategy! 

@Henry Culpi welcome to BP! Stoked to see a fellow medical device engineer here on the forums. We share a passion in the development process that brings life-improving and life-saving products to patients around the globe. What types of devices are you currently working on?

What originally drew you to pursue REI? If you haven't already, pick up copies of David Greene's books on Long Distance REI and BRRRR. They will be great resources for pursuing the type of investment strategy you mentioned.

@Henry Culpi welcome to BP!  Your first investment property may take the longest but you'll lean a lot doing it.

The Dallas/Fort Worth area is a great area and I still have an investment property in the area.  Be mindful of the taxes since there are no income taxes in Texas the cities typically charge more than normal for real estate taxes. 

Continue to do your due diligence and you'll be okay.

What's up! Welcome, and good work on choosing an area to start with. I own in Austin, am familiar with DFW and Houston sub markets, let me know if you ever want to get together at some point to talk strategy

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you