I'm pretty new and had a question on rental properties mortgages

1 Reply

I'm 20 years old in college. I have a job that pays 15$ an hour in Flagstaff Arizona(minimum wage is $12). My parents pay for pretty much all the bills until I graduate college in 2 years. If I'm leasing an apartment next year and want to purchase a single-family home as a rental property. Could I get a regular mortgage interest rate because I already have a primary residence somewhere else? Or would I have to do an investment property loan which has high-interest rates and probably isn't the smartest way to get started? 

Also, my 10k debt doesn't have to start being paid until after I graduate(as long as I stay in school full time). I'll graduate in 2 years with about 20k debt. This means I CURRENTLY have 0 debt or loans being paid and a credit score of 750. Would my debt to income ratio and credit help me qualify for decent mortgages?

Sorry, its a lot. I want to get started with rentals as young as possible. Appreciate any help.

@Drew Dotinga But a small multi where you go to school owner occupied< 5% down. 2-4 units, rent the other units out and live for near free. You have to see if you can qualify for a loan. If you don't owner occupy you will need 20% down minimum.

Learn to use a calculator. It will be your best friend. Example: quick analysis. Property cost $200000. Rent $3000 per month. Use 50% rule: half to expenses and half to profit and mortgage payments. @ 5% you would profit $423. @ 8% you would still profit but only $32.  Don't get hung up on interest rates do deal analysis.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you