Raleigh - New Investor

6 Replies

Hello BP members!  I’m new to the investing world, I mean brand new, I have not done a deal yet.  I have read almost every book out there and listened to more podcasts than I can count to get ready for the big day.  I am getting the itch, so to speak, but obviously I’m nervous about the first deal.  I have a finance background and have done many construction projects (large and small).  I have also saved up some money to get started.  I would really like to connect with some investors in the Raleigh and surrounding areas to get some guidance and advice for the area.  My goal would be to invest in rental properties but wouldn’t be opposed to flipping, to build my saving to then buy nicer properties to rent.  

@Jeff K. Welcome to BP!  We have a local meetup once a month.  You should come and join us.  There is also a very active TREIA group in our area.  Additionally, to get the most out of Bigger Pockets, I would set up keyword alerts (like Raleigh, Cary, Durham, or whatever).  That way, you'll be notified when a new local topic of interest gets posted.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets, @Jeff K. !

You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to help respond to your questions. Many members are experts in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate brokerage, wholesaling, flipping, buy and hold, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

There are some pretty cool discounts on various products and services offered as Perks to BP members that you might want to check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

If you haven’t checked it out already, the Bigger Pockets blog features links to their awesome podcast and many great articles: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Thanks for the info Dawn, can you provide a little more info on the local meetup, or point me in the right direction to get the info.  I’m really excited to get started and have already setup alerts for the Raleigh market.  

@Jeff K. It’s the second Wednesday of every month in Cary. The event is under the events tab on BP.

You can also shoot me a message and I’ll send you the address that way, just remind me. I don’t have it in front of me currently. I try to attend every month, it’s a great time.

Raleigh itself is a hot market and at least to me, cash flow is difficult here. I invest mostly in Eastern NC, and have had much better luck there. It’s still competitive though

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you