New Member Introduction

10 Replies

Hi everyone!

My name is Sthefany Lamoureux and I am 22 years old and I live in Massachusetts. I've been a member of BP for a few weeks but I haven't yet posted in the forums until now. So, my boyfriend and I are teaming up to start venturing into the Real Estate world. He is a Finish Carpenter, and for the last 6 months-ish or so we've done nothing but study, research, and try to soak in as much information as possible. Making contacts and familiarizing ourselves with all aspects of the business along the way. 

Our goal is to have a multifamily (either a triplex or quad) by summer's end to owner occupy and rent out the other units. We don't have the capital for the down-payment yet, however. So we're going to use Wholesaling as a strategy to raise it. Our real goal is to rehab houses and buy & hold. So, if it seems like Wholesaling isn't really what we want to do to start, we're going to try to flip and house or two, and use that money to reinvest into the multifamily I mentioned. It all seems incredibly fun and I can't wait to truly start. I think we've learned enough to be able to dip our toes in at this point. And we'll keep learning more and more as we wade in deeper and deeper into the business. 

We are based off of Worcester, MA and that will be our target market for now. We would love to connect with like-minded individuals that are based around our area and we would love to hear any advice any of you wonderful people in BP have to offer us, being brand new. We have not yet attended any meetups either, but if any of you have any suggestions, we would love to check them out. 

Glad to meet you,

Sthefany Lamoureux 

Welcome to BiggerPockets @Sthefany Lamoureux !  Take the time to speak with a lender to make sure you meet all the qualifications for a mortgage first.  Don't want to put the cart before the horse... and speaking from experience it can be somewhat challenging to qualify with limited work experience or in trades if there's not a consistent paycheck :)

Any successful business will take some time to get up and running, wholesaling included.  Be sure that you know the laws before jumping into it and understand it might be a little harder to get a good amount of cash saved up for the aggressive timeline you've put in place to buy your first property by.

Best of luck and happy investing!  

Welcome @Sthefany Lamoureux to the great community we have here. This is a great place to connect with like minded people and get the opportunity to learn from others - great way to avoid making the same mistakes others have made :) It's great that you're starting so young. I know starting out can be tough - but getting over the initial deal is very satisfying. 

Great plan with house hacking - I know that's how I got my start. I have owned some multis and done some fix and flips. I am an architect and real estate agent and grew up around construction - so this feels less like a job and more like a full time hobby. Sounds like you have done lots of research but if you ever need help on the process let me know - happy to tell you how things have worked for me! Good luck!


Mark Terry

Architect | Real Estate Agent

Owner of Refined Real Estate 

@Sthefany Lamoureux

Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

Originally posted by @Matt Lefebvre :

Welcome to BiggerPockets @Sthefany Lamoureux!  Take the time to speak with a lender to make sure you meet all the qualifications for a mortgage first.  Don't want to put the cart before the horse... and speaking from experience it can be somewhat challenging to qualify with limited work experience or in trades if there's not a consistent paycheck :)

Any successful business will take some time to get up and running, wholesaling included.  Be sure that you know the laws before jumping into it and understand it might be a little harder to get a good amount of cash saved up for the aggressive timeline you've put in place to buy your first property by.

Best of luck and happy investing!  

 Hey there Matt,

Thank you for the tips! I will most certainly do that. And I understand that the timeline I've chosen is a bit aggressive. I kind of just had to set a timeline for the goal, whatever that was. If it takes longer to accomplish what I want, I will be happy to know that I've at least made all of the progress I could possibly have within that original timeline I gave myself. But thank you for the concern! It is very kind of you to mention it. 

Originally posted by @Brian J Allen :

I would be glad to meet up and show you around Worcester.  The key is to know what is out there and be ready when your financing is ready

 Thank you! That would be much appreciated, I will message you to set up something. I would be super grateful if I could ask all the questions I have about our market.

Originally posted by @Mark Terry :

Welcome @Sthefany Lamoureux to the great community we have here. This is a great place to connect with like minded people and get the opportunity to learn from others - great way to avoid making the same mistakes others have made :) It's great that you're starting so young. I know starting out can be tough - but getting over the initial deal is very satisfying. 

Great plan with house hacking - I know that's how I got my start. I have owned some multis and done some fix and flips. I am an architect and real estate agent and grew up around construction - so this feels less like a job and more like a full time hobby. Sounds like you have done lots of research but if you ever need help on the process let me know - happy to tell you how things have worked for me! Good luck!


Mark Terry

Architect | Real Estate Agent

Owner of Refined Real Estate 

 Hi there,

Thank you so much for the reply! I will very gladly keep that in consideration if I ever need any help. It's great to know that you are a Realtor and an Architect and that you have experience doing the two things I'm aiming to do. It's invaluable to have access to people like you, who are willing to help a newbie like me. 

Take care!

Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko :

@Sthefany Lamoureux

Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

Wishing you the best!

Thank you so much! Those tips will most definitely help me. I've been listening to the podcasts and am now on Show #11 (I've got a looong way to go to get caught up) and they've had some amazing information. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you