Advice on sending out a mailer in two languages

3 Replies

Hi everybody, first time poster here. I've been flipping for a few years now and just found this site, wish I would of found it years ago. My question for those of you who have experience in identifying a potential property to purchase and sending a letter to the owner, is have you ever done it in two languages?  I live in California in a city where a large part of the population speaks Spanish.  I've had luck in the past knocking on doors, talking with the owners and leaving my information, but this particular property I'm interested in is a duplex with renters.  I've found out where the owners live and their names, but I'm not sure if they speak both English and Spanish.  I'm a little unsure how to proceed.  If I send a letter in just English and they're Spanish speakers then I'm not going to get anywhere.  Conversely, I don't want to be presumptive and write it in both languages and offend the owners just because their names are Hispanic.  Any dual language speaking owners out there have advice on what you would want to see?  

Thanks for the time!  

@Brandon Cline - We have sent mailers in two different languages before.  My thoughts are that you are covering your bases and giving them options to communicate with them in a tongue they prefer.  Whether it's English, Spanish, or Pig Latin, they will choose the best route for them with options presented to them.

Good luck!

@Brandon Cline

Welcome to the site man! 

If the over all goal is to open a dialogue, you can address this simply by using a P.S. that simply states "Se Habla Espanol!" and repeating your phone number again. (Usually handwritten at the bottom in a circle balloon) I've worked multiple markets in Texas which has a large Hispanic population. This solution has worked best for me. 

Additionally, I've found myself often speaking through a son, daughter, brother, sister, cousin....as translator. If they are interested in selling, they will find a way to communicate with you. If not, it won't matter which language you use :-).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you