Newbie Looking for BRRR Opportunity in Houston, TX

2 Replies

I am a newbie from NY looking for my first BRRR in Houston, TX. My target is a single family/duplex in the 200k range with good buy & hold potential. What are some of the neighborhoods you would recommend? Any recommendations for a good realtor, property manager, etc.?

Also, I am in town for a few days (7/13 to 7/16) and would love to meet for coffee and learn about the Houston market.

Thanks!

Jennie!

Congrats on beginning to take action!

My first question is why Houston, TX? Is there a particular reason you chose this city to do long-distance investing? 

Finding a Duplex in Houston that's not in a C/D class neighborhood for $200k or less with little or no rehab is a challenge. Single family is doable. You asked for neighborhood recommendations, but that is really dependent on your strategy. Are you looking for cash flow only, appreciation only, or both? The neighborhoods that are A/B class with great school districts that are prime for long term holding are not going to cash flow as well unless you are using all cash (no financing) compared to a C/D class neighborhood where you are likely to get higher cash flow and some appreciation/equity capture if you do a rehab.

There are a ton of property managers in Houston. I can name a few if you want to PM me.

I am a realtor and would be happy to speak to you more about investing in our market and what to look out for. I am an active investor. Feel free to reach out! 

If they want to BRRRR, they need something below market that they can renovate or improve, Brian. I don't know Houston though so I can't help much.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you