New to Bigger Pockets! :)

14 Replies

Hello, my name is Emi and I'm new to BiggerPockets :)  I'm a stay-at-home mom who knows nothing about real estate, but I've recently started listening to the BP podcast everyday, taking webinars, reading their books, analyzing at least 2 potential rental properties everyday by using Brandon's 4 Square Method to calculate costs and see if it's possible to get close to a 12% COCRoi (is that the right term?) - and I've been trying to learn all the lingo - which is basically a different language to me.  :P   (but really fun!)

I really value the forum on BP and appreciate everyone being so helpful to each other! I've just started researching the BRRRR method, and it's amazing when people share their stories - both good and bad experiences - bc we learn from both.  ;)  SO THANK YOU!!!

I recently got my husband to start listening to the podcast, as well (Yay!). 

We live in California, but our dream is to eventually live in Portland in a cute bungalow house! :P  We really want to invest in Portland but the market still seems high.  I was just curious to know if there are other people like us waiting for a particular market they want to get into?  I totally understand we could be waiting for a couple more years, but while we wait - I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible.  We do have 1 rental unit in Oakland (Temescal area) - a condo we used to live in... but then we bought a house, had a baby, all that good jazz :)  

I'm currently reading David Greene's Long-Distance Real Estate Investing book, which I love! :)  Anyway, I just thought I would pluck up the courage to say hello and introduce myself. :)

(I'm still learning to navigate the website so I hope I posted this right...)

Hi @Aaron Belt   Thank you so much! :) Yes! I'm discovering the forums have a wealth of knowledge in them, and I appreciate hearing about other people's experiences. The free webinars are really cool too! It beats paying a guru my life savings :P 

Hi @Emi S. , Welcome to bigger pockets and this is a great site for learning and the podcasts are awesome! @Brandon Turner and @David Greene are very passionate about real estate and every podcast is basically an in depth biography of some of the most successful investors out there!! Good luck and enjoy!

@Emi S.  

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Education is very important to real estate so it's very good that you're going out there and learning by reading books and listening to podcasts. I'm in the Kansas City market, so if you're ever interested in doing out of state real estate investing, I can tell you more about it! Good luck on your real estate investing journey!

@Emi S. 12% COC return is definitely possible in the right markets. The Midwest and Southeast will generally be your best choice for cash flow. Personally, I like Indianapolis and Kansas City. Both markets have a good combination of cash flow and strong economic/demographic trends. They should both be on your radar.

@Emi S.

Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here! Here are some recommendations for you:

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users
Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

Wishing you the best!

@Emi S.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you