Is 4.24% a good rate for HELOC?

10 Replies

I'm a newbie with just a couple of rental properties...Looking at expanding with BRRRR and need cash. One of the options is HELOC. Talked to a few banks/credit unions. The best rate I found was 4.24%. Is this good enough? have you seen better ones? Looks like most of them don't charge closing fees or application fees. But some of them charge a mortgage tax of a thousand dollars or 2% for every time you make a draw...Not sure whether the APR is the most important thing I should consider...Thank you for your help!

@Vivian Long That is a great rate however it looks too low to be effective. That rate is too low to be offered at a high LTV. This means you will get a lower loan amount and that you're leaving money on the table. If you take the highest possible rate this company can offer, you'll get the most money out which is going to be way worth way more to your you're investing than saving one-two percent on the interest-rate and getting $20,000 less cash.

Mine has one at 2 plus percent for a limited time good for the first year then about high 4's thereafter or could be 5.0 percent. I know it changes some from time to time.

Thanks for all the responses. Found another one with 2.9% for the first year, then 4 something after... 80% LTV... I started the application process already, but now with the responses here, maybe I need to rethink...

Start off by calling every local bank, community bank, credit union. Rates can vary a lot. Don't let them pull your credit until you have finished making your list. Also ask how the lender obtains value, whether by desktop underwriting or full appraisal. This affects the value. You will also want to keep track of the LTV on different products.

@Kerry Baird

Honestly, anything you buy with the HELOC should be temporary. That said, I generally don't care about interest. I care more about buying power. The low interest rate likely will be accompanied by a lower line of credit. Go for the higher buying power if it's an option.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you