Current College Student <> Interested in Commercial Real Estate

2 Replies

Hello all, I currently just made a bigger pockets forum account and I couldn't be more excited to start learning more about real estate. I'm currently an upcoming Junior at Indiana University. I just recently had the opportunity to intern for a commercial real estate company in Miami. I always had an interest in Real Estate, but from this summer's experience, I think it's fair to say that Real Estate is something I can myself doing as a career. As now I've finally made the realization that this is what I want to do, I would love to hear suggestions to learn more about commercial real estate in general. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me to take a look at such as videos to watch, articles to read, and things of that nature. I'm very excited to learn more, however, a little confused about where exactly I should start. Lastly, I would like to know how you guys chose what specifically you wanted to do in real estate. I'm currently struggling to find a specific area of commercial real estate I want to focus on and would like to devote my time on that specific subject, while still absorbing information about the other aspects of commercial real estate.

Would be great if you guys would be able to help me out and point me in the right direction!

Welcome to BP Michael!

If you have decided commercial real estate is your vehicle you should learn multifamily syndication. 

Start with the following:

Podcasts: Rod Khleif, Jake & Gino, Michael Blank

Books: Lifetime Cashflow Through Real Estate Investing, Wheelbarrow Profits, Joe Fairless Apartment Syndication, Multifamily Millions

Learn this business through the remainder of your college career.  Find a partner that has more experience through specializing in a certain aspect of the syndication business.  Scale quick but smart.

@Michael More  

Congrats on deciding early on in life that you'd like to invest in real estate. The reason you're struggling is because you haven't found a niche that resonates the most with you. My suggestion is to continue educating yourself through books, podcasts and networking on various real estate commercial asset classes and niches of investing until it hits you (based on the pros and cons most important for you!) which one you'd like to concentrate on. This period will also allow you to start saving money for your investments. 

Good reads to start with are: two of the David Lindalhl books

Good podcasts are by the following people:

1) Jake & Gino

2) Whitney Sewell

3) Rod Khleif

4) John Casmon

5) Juan Vargas

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you