RE: Difficulty with Market Trends

4 Replies

Hi Everyone!

This may be a silly question, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to read market trends of an area.

If anyone can provide specific websites that would help or tips on what to look for I'd greatly appreciate it.

@Jalissa Hayes Welcome to BP! Thanks for asking that question. Real estate agents can help you find out the market trends in a local area. You can also sign up for email newsletters from Housing Wire. I hope this helps. 

Simply google (your martlet here) housing sales or statistics. You will almost always get a result saying last month sales qty and prices were this, up or down from the previous month and the previous year. I’d probably ask for results for the last 3-6 months. Anything less could be caused by outside or one time factors. Anything longer is getting stale. 

@Jalissa Hayes the Census is a great source of information to real estate investors. 

I would look at data such as population, income, employment, poverty, educational attainment, etc... 

This will paint a rather good picture of the markets you are interested in. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you