Hello BP! Software Engineer here :-)

5 Replies

Hello community of BP!

I'm very excited to join and see what's going on here :-)

For the past few months (ever since reading Rich Dad Poor Dad) I've looking more intently into real state. I still don't know what niche I'm planning to learn more about, so right now I'm just learning the basics.

But apart from that I'm a software engineer and would love to hear if there are ways that those skills can be used in real state (creating tools? analyzing data? Idk) but if you have an idea and wanna pass it by a "computer guy" here I am!

Hey BC, I'm not a computer guy so hellifIknow how to leverage that, but welcome to BP and the forums. Godspeed in your investing! 

@Benjamin Calderon

Perhaps we can chat with some of the IT related scripts etc for real estate....  They have helped us to some extent to a limited degree.  Not sure of the PURE IT real estate opportunity....  I'm sure they are out there but of course like anything the vision and abilities have to align very very nicely....

Thanks for the welcome @Ian Gilligan !!

I'd love to chat @Jim Goebel . I wasn't really thinking about something exclusively IT related. I'm hoping to learn and become a REI but it seems to me that very often in mixing multiple disciplines there's an edge that the competition could potentially not have, let it be speed or efficiency or automation or whatever else.

What I think could be helpful from software in real state is data processing and automating processes? But yeah, I'm here to learn things that I don't know, not just try to force what I know on a different field :D

@Benjamin Calderon

Another engineer here. Welcome!

There are obviously a ton of things your skills can do. One of the biggest (and most underrated) is the fact that you know a lot of people of medium>>high incomes. These folks are great for raising money.

Beyond that, as you get more involved, you can help investors with their projects and data analysis. Keep your ear to the ground for opportunities, they will come.

@Benjamin Calderon

Start by figuring out as to what type of investor you'd like to be: active or passive, and then look into various niches within it.

Here's an article to get you started: 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/84064-what-type-of-investor-to-be-when-i-grow-up-active-or-passiv

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you