First shell flip budget

6 Replies

Hey guys new investor here, in Baltimore there’s townhome vacants ranging from shells that can be had for 2-10k, to gutted or leaky roof ones for up to 30k. I know that each house is different and I’m not asking for solid estimates. I was told that a gutted townhomes between 1,100-1,300sq would cost around 30k to be rent ready. Now that I’m aware of the Brrrrrrr technique I feel a little more comfortable jumping into the flip game since eventually I want to also hold a couple homes for rentals. My home have a 35k line of credit but no mortgage. I could cash out and get between 60-80k. 

Whomever told you that gutting a property and rebuilding it for 30K in Baltimore City literally has no clue what they are talking about, guts are running 50-55 dollars a sq ft, so 1000 sq ft will cost you 50k-55K to rebuild correctly.

Maybe the guy was talking just gutted or something. I thought that sounded extremely low. Thanks for the range so I think I’ll just stick with finding a modest rehab multiunit. When I wasn’t looking for my home it was hard finding a cheap house that roof didnt leak and spread mold throughout the homes. 

Promotion
Azibo
Smart landlords use Azibo
One-stop-shop for landlords
Rent collection, banking, bill pay & access to competitive loans and insurance - free for landlords
Get started for free

@Steven King welcome to BP

Ian is right, the $30k number is way to low. Most areas where you can buy for 5-10 are  not worth doing a full gut rehab. You may be able to get a rehab done for 30k but it would not be what I call a "Full Gut". 

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

@Steven King welcome to BP

Ian is right, the $30k number is way to low. Most areas where you can buy for 5-10 are  not worth doing a full gut rehab. You may be able to get a rehab done for 30k but it would not be what I call a "Full Gut". 

That’s what I was thinking maybe not a full overhaul. By shell I meant  new walls, floors, electrical, plumbing, havac, roof  

My mother ex owns apartment buildings and have contractors, just talked with him and he gave me a couple ideas for what approach I should take and his contractor price ranges to compare to other future rates. Been doing a little more reading and thankfully I’m taking my time need to learn more about refinancing and this 10 loan limit 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you